Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When MathCad Prime 6?

SOLVED

Re: When MathCad Prime 6?

I'm an exclusively prime user, but I can't agree that's legacy sheets are the only warranted criticism.  They've had almost 10 years with prime and haven't even fixed some basic gui issues.  When you own the source code to a functioning version, making the update equally capable shouldn't take 10 years.  Almost all of it could be outsourced.  It's just  not a priority to PTC, although it should really be the backbone of their whole Model-Based Enterprise system.  The 'improvements' in each release are negligible and never fixing the real issues.  Ok, improved graphs was needed but if you take away unit awareness what was the point?   How did that ever get past the first design review?  We're on version 5 and my screen still jumps all over the place.  Typing programs gets slow if you go past 20 lines.  Fonts change on me.  Snap changes size.  Collapsible areas rearrange themselves.  It's slow.  Many other little bugs (thankfully very few wrong calculations).  Their management and execution of this program has to get a failing grade.  

Matlab tells me they have 1100(!) developers working.  Mathcad has maybe 1.  Who's going to win this race?  A new version was due yesterday and other than this forum is there any news anywhere on it?  

Fred was saying maybe MS Word should be the model, but from your review it sounds like it already is! Maybe they can add Clippy back in!
I must admit I'm with you 100%. It should be their flagship product, something that could be on every engineer's desktop, and it looks like their development staff consists of a high school intern working off an obsolete laptop running GW Basic in a broom closet. I don't mean to dis the coders, but clearly they aren't giving the coders the time or guidance they need.
Proud user of Mathcad since MS-DOS days.

@tslewis wrote:

The only criticisim I really feel that is warranetd against prime is the fact that a lot of people have legacy sheets that they need to update.

Sure wrong! I would be happy to be able to convert my old sheets in the format of a new, modern and capable software, but Prime simply isn't.

Other than that, technology moves on, operating systems move on.

Absolutely correct, but unfortunetaly Prime is a big step backwards and it hardly moves on.

and in my opinion I much much prefer prime to V15. Its far more pleasant to work with and the quality of the document produced is far better.

I respect your opinion, especially as it seems that you are the only defender and advocate of Prime here in the forum. But I can't more disagree with you in this respect. Primes interface is a nightmare to work with and the quality of the output in many respects is worse than in MC15. MC15 never was famous for professional plots or state of the art word processing features, but compared to Prime ... Think about custom margins, headers an footers, quality of plots (especially 3D, but also 2D),... The third party plot component which was introduced in P5 is ridiculous - its slow, poorly implemented, does not support units and is absolute useless on a system with a 4K display 'cause its not aware of the screen resolution and does not scale.

I see this as the same issue facing most people with new software.

No, the point is not the new look and new interface. I really like to use new and modern software and quite often are kind of an  early adopter. I remember the times when M$ introduced the ribbon interface - I did not like it, but I got accustomed to it and soon was as fast with this GUI as I was with the older one. I still don't see much benefit in the ribbon, but the way its implemented now in the Office suite is OK for me and the modifications, improvements and additions which were done under the hood justify for me buying and using the current version.

All this does not apply for Prime. The interface is poorly implemented and most actions take more time, more clicks, etc to achieve. The "new" Prime GUI slows down the workflow which is about the worst thing you can say about a GUI. If that GUI is OK for you and your work, be happy and use it, but it sure is not for me.

Prime 6 was supposed to be released yesterday....

I just looked and Prime 6-0-0-0 is offered for download now. I had not bothered downloading and installing it, so I can not say anything about the changes.

https://www.ptc.com/en/mathcad-software-blog/mathcad-prime-6-brings-engineering-calculations-life

Our corporate system administrator is going to sift it through soon, so I can't see yet the improvements and the integration with Creo.