cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Why is my solved unit came out weird?

yoohooos
11-Garnet

Why is my solved unit came out weird?

Annotation 2020-03-26 231855.png

 Why is it like this and is there a way to just keep it as "kip"?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In case of your example it helps if you go to "Calculation" ribbon and turn ON "Units and constants in symbolic math" in the Options dropdown.

Werner_E_0-1585347583601.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:yoohooos)

1.st

Attach your worksheet, or at least a worksheet that shows the problem you have. NOT just a picture.

You're doing symbiolic evaluation. The symbolic processor does not handle units the way you might expect. It does not 'know' units, and treats them as unknown variables.

From the picture it seems that you've defined at least two variables, one with a unit 'ft' (blue, bold, italic), the other with a variable 'ft' (black, italic). If you relabel that variable ft to a unit ft, the symbolic processor will be smart enough to cancel the ft in denominator with the ft in the numerator of the result.

Success!
Luc

This can be found in the following pages: 6,7,9,10

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:yoohooos)

As stated the symbolic processor does not know about units. Sometimes it makes a wrong choice, apparently. I've modified the first occurence of this in your sheet on page 6.

You do the rest.

Success!
Luc

In case of your example it helps if you go to "Calculation" ribbon and turn ON "Units and constants in symbolic math" in the Options dropdown.

Werner_E_0-1585347583601.png

Thank you very much! Solved!

Nonetheless you may consider using numerical methods (solve block or the root command) for numerical results.
Here as an example the root command with its two flavours:

Werner_E_0-1585351975603.png

Top Tags