Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Words with Friends”… and Mathcad Prime 2.0

Highlighted

“Words with Friends”… and Mathcad Prime 2.0

In today's Mathcad blog post, "Words with Friends and Mathcad Prime 2.0", you can read about how I brought two very different, but enjoyable topics together- Mathcad Prime 2.0 and the "Words with Friends" app. In this post I use Mathcad Prime 2.0 to help me find the odds of being able to play a 7 letter word on my first turn using permutations. Here is an excerpt:

"If you’ve ever played Scrabble you know there is a special bonus that many players strive to achieve, but many never do- using all seven of your letters in one turn. This is called a bingo in the United States and Canada, a “Scrabble” in parts of Europe, and a “bonus” elsewhere, and results in a 50 point bonus. So I started thinking about what the odds would be to get a bingo on your first turn. To calculate this probability I had to pick a specific seven letter word for the sake of time. I started brainstorming and the first seven letter words these came to mind were blogger, giraffe, and lasagna. But, then the best seven letter world of all popped into my head, M-A-T-H-C-A-D! I decided I would have to find out what the chances of drawing the letters to spell Mathcad on my first turn would be in a game of Scrabble. I used Mathcad Prime 2.0 and an article by Alan Salzberg to help me with these calculations (luckily)."

You can read the full post here.

Enjoy!

Announcements