cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

XML files will not open

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

XML files will not open

I have several files I created last year.  They are typed as xml files.  Now when I try to open them I get a message that they are not valid xml files.   Can someone explain why this happens and how to fix it.  I am attaching one of the offending files.

When I try to attach the file I am told the contents do not match the file type

19 REPLIES 19
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Joeboy)

Hi,

you have to store your file in a compressed folder and attach it to the message.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:-MFra-)

How do I store as a compressed file

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Create on the desktop a new compressed folder as follows: click on the mouse right button and choose new, then choose compressed folder and rename it. After that, drag on it  and drop the worksheet's file. Than attach the compressed folder to the message.

I've no difficulty opening my worksheets. The type indicated is XML as well.

Type XML files.jpg

make sure you open the files correctly

Probably the file is lost.

It is convenient to have backup copies of all files in order to recover lost files.

Opening XML files.jpg

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

I put the file in a compressed folder and attached it.  Can you open it ?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I downloaded the file, but mathcad gives me your same error. 

I am perplexed. What to tell you? wait for the response of some other member of the community.

cantopen.jpg

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

This is not the message I got.  Mine simply said "invalid XML file"

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I am surprised, too, by the message Francesco got. I get the same as you:

B.png

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

why?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@Joeboy wrote:

why?

Why what?

Why I get that error message from Mathcad? Because the file you sent is damaged. The content got deleted and replaced by all bytes being FFhex.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Mundane errors can create such problems. For example, when Mathcad performs a calculation that seems interminable and you interrupt it, without any effect other than blocking the computer, then you turn it off by holding down the power button. By doing this, you can lose all the work done or even the impossibility of accessing it when you turn the computer back on.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@-MFra- wrote:

Mundane errors can create such problems. For example, when Mathcad performs a calculation that seems interminable and you interrupt it, without any effect other than blocking the computer, then you turn it off by holding down the power button. By doing this, you can lose all the work done or even the impossibility of accessing it when you turn the computer back on.

But this will usually not affect a whole bunch of file as in this case. And Mathcad sure would not create a file with correct file size and filled with all FF's. Furthermore Dixie has a working backup. That means that the files were written to the disk by Mathcad in a correct way. The damage occurred afterwards.

So best guess IMHO is that something happened to the files after they were written by Mathcad. Maybe by copying them from one place to another or by using a network share. We can't tell.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Bad news!

When I look at the file you posted I see that all the bytes in that file have the same value hex FF.

There is no information which could be retrieved.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

I use carbonite as a backup.  I downloaded the files and they opened fine

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Good news that you have a working backup.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

The question STILL is :  why did this occur ?   I wrote the file in 2017 and it worked.   The file has now stopped working but the identical backup works, what causes this?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@Joeboy wrote:

The question STILL is :  why did this occur ?   I wrote the file in 2017 and it worked.   The file has now stopped working but the identical backup works, what causes this?

Obviously the files were not identical (fortunately) - the files on your harddisk (or did you save it on a network share?) just have the same size and the same file date, but the content is different from the files in the backup.

Unfortunately we can only guess as to what happened and I don't think that Mathcad is to blame for the data loss.

A short time ago we had a problem with a network share. By an accident all files there got deleted and IT restored them from the backup the make on a regular basis. All the files restored were useless. While they all had the correct file size , the content was all zero-bytes (similar to your problem - your files consist of all FF-Bytes). We don't know what the cause was (and fortunately had a backup of our own which worked OK).

So is hard to say what the cause in your case could have been but chances are, that its not only the Mathcad files which are damaged.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

I cannot even open the file, how do i save it in compressed format ?

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

What service release of Mathcad 15 do you use?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

Mathcad 15.0 (M050 [MC15_M050_20171129
])

Top Tags