cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

XY Plot Issue

ptc-3260463
1-Newbie

XY Plot Issue

I'm having trouble graphing an XY plot.

See attachment. f1(x) and f2(x) plot fine but f3(x) doesn't show up?

Any suggestions??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Change the range of the variable "x" for the plot -- either define x:=-5,-4.99..5 (using a range variable) or change limit directly in the plot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Change the range of the variable "x" for the plot -- either define x:=-5,-4.99..5 (using a range variable) or change limit directly in the plot.

How did you know to go to -5 for x? When I change the plot to f(x)=-e^-2x the trace disappears again?

The quickplot feature of mathcad is very convinient but it snot perfect. Normally Mathcad would go through the default abscissa range from -10 to 10 and calculate the ordinate values and scales the ordinate accordingly.

In case of your function this algorithm failed (which it shouldn't and I consider this a bug).

So you can help Mathcad by specifying the endpoint values at the ordinate yourself (see attached sheet). Or alternatively you can change the values at the abscissa (f3(-10) seems to be to large for the quickplot) as Jakov suggested.

If you use range variables, as Jacov has proposed, you have more control over accuracy as you choose the step width yourself. The only disadvantage i Mathcad 15 is, that this variable now has a value (the range) and could not be cleared again for subsquent calculations.

Top Tags