cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Yield/Failure functions

ptc-2239588
1-Newbie

Yield/Failure functions

Hello all, Just wondering if anyone knows how to plot the yield/failure surface of say the Mohr-Coulomb or other failure surface in MathCAD? I have a complex function to define the failure surface though am having a fair bit of difficulty plotting it in MathCAD. Any help woul dbe great!
17 REPLIES 17

If you could post what you've done so far, that would be a help in giving guidance.

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

If you could post what you've done so far, that would be a help in giving guidance.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2239588)

It's a surface, so of course it has to be a function of 2 variables. As Stuart says, without seeing a worksheet it's tough to say much more. Richard

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

It's a surface, so of course it has to be a function of 2 variables. As Stuart says, without seeing a worksheet it's tough to say much more. Richard

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-2239588)

"Anmol Bedi" wrote:

however you would think that there would be a method to plot a surface as a function of three variables on three axes (being the sig1,sig2 & sig3 axis in octahedral stress space).

"Anmol Bedi" wrote:

however you would think that there would be a method to plot a surface as a function of three variables on three axes (being the sig1,sig2 & sig3 axis in octahedral stress space).

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

Another way of representing it would be to use colour for the 4th dimension. Needless to say, this kind of thing has been on my request list for some time.

Like this?Снимок.JPG

Nice example, but this thread is over 2 years old.

Mike

Sorry, not looked at the date. But you can always revive this interesting topic.

Fully agree. Was just making you aware incase you were waiting on a reply

The only name I recognise is Richards.

Mike

Hi,

I've just re-checked this after a long time, and actually this is exactly what I am after!

Can you please still help with this?

Cheers,

A.

Hi.

I'll try.

At first, creates the function for plot surface in cylindrical coordinate system:

R(Z,thetta)

Angel range is -60deg...+60deg

The Z-axes in this function is the resultant of stresses sigm1 and sigm2 (or sigm2 and sigm3, or sigm1 and sigm3 -- it dosn't matter)

Then function R(Z,thetta) reduse to 6 functions in Cartesian coordinate system FX(Z,thetta+A) and FY(Z,thetta+A). The A = -150deg, -30deg and 90deg for every pair of functions (why it's so -- I don't remember).

Then using affine transformation rotate functions FX and FY around Y and Z axes.

Then creates Mesh and Plot ))

Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr3lpscloub7fh0/123456-1.xmcd

Example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr3lpscloub7fh0/123456-1.xmcd

You can attach files directly here if you chose "Use advanced editor" at the upper right.

ok.

Please see in attachment.

VladimirN. wrote:

Please see in attachment.

??? Did you post the wrong file?

The file you posted is exactly the same file w/o modifications which already Artyom posted above!

Top Tags