cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

convert simple mathcad prime 3.1 file to mathcad prime 3.0

smorton
1-Newbie

convert simple mathcad prime 3.1 file to mathcad prime 3.0

I created a very simple (basic arithmetic), but long Mathcad file in Prime 3.1 express while away from my home PC.

I have a fully licensed Prime 3.0 that I would like to use this file on.

Am I out of luck?  Do I need to re-enter this data again in Mathcad Prime 3.0?  Is there any way to convert this file?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:smorton)

PTC does not allow backward compatibility even for minor version changes, such as 3.1 to 3.0. A stupid policy that does them more harm than good, but that's the way it is. So yes, you have to manually recreate everything.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

PTC does not allow backward compatibility even for minor version changes, such as 3.1 to 3.0. A stupid policy that does them more harm than good, but that's the way it is. So yes, you have to manually recreate everything.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:RichardJ)

Has anyone tried modifying the XML files contained within the .mcdx file?  I tried this a while ago, but I think the file I tried it on had some content that was not available in the older version of Prime that I wanted to open it in.  I've always wanted but have never taken the time to try it on a very basic file.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:MJG)

I've never tried it, but it's an interesting idea.

See please

Some time ago Andy reported that he was able to modify Prime 3.0 files in a way so he could read them with Prime 2.0.

-> Opening Prime 3.1 in Prime 3.0

So it may be possible to modify 3.1 files so they could be opened in 3.0. But who would be willing to spend the time finding out what has to be changed and maybe write some kind of converter?

In a blog (which I couldn't find anymore) some PTC staff reported that its possible to have Prime 3.1 and 3.0 installed on the same machine and that way its possible to run them at the same time and copy the regions from a 3.1 file to a blank 3.0 file.

But I am not sure if anybody of us ever tried and has the ability to do this for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

For what it's worth -- I thought I was really slick last night and tried to:

1) open my Prime 3.1 file

2) copied its contents to a clipboard

3) uninstalled Prime 3.1

4) installed Prime 3.0

5) tried to paste the contents

... which did NOT work.

Maybe it was a dumb idea, but I've had worse.

Guess it only works when both applications (Prime 3.0 AND 3.1) are running at the same time.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I seem to recall that the trick was something like this:

1) Install Prime 3.0

2) Copy the entire Prime 3.0 program folder and rename it, for example "Mathcad Prime 3.0 copy", so the installer can't find it

3) Install Prime 3.1

Then you can run Prime 3.0 by going to the "Mathcad Prime 3.0 copy" folder and clicking on the exe. Both instances of Prime can (apparently) be run at the same time, and you can copy and paste between them. I have never tried this though.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Steven,

Last tip from Richard really works, use it. If you encounter any problems (in any case) you can attach your file to the message and we re-save it (by copying regions) for Prime 3.0 version.

Top Tags