cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

copy/paste from Quicksheet not the same as hand-editing

ptc-4025035
1-Newbie

copy/paste from Quicksheet not the same as hand-editing

Hello, I'm exercising with programming and tried to edit a program similar to the square root extraction example from the Quicksheets on Programming "looping and control". To understand my problem, I tried to copy/paste the square root example, then I copied it by hand. Surprise: the two "identical" programs don't run the same, the hand-copied one gives an error. I entered the "while" operator from the programming toolbar and not by writing it extensively, which would actually have given exactly the same error. I don't see any other visible difference between my program and the copy/pasted one, BESIDES the fact that when selected, the whole copy/pasted program (including sqrt(x):=) is enclosed in green brackets. Any clue? All programs based on a similar "while" looping which I try to edit give the same error and don't run.
13 REPLIES 13
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4025035)

The only realistic way to debug your program would be to see it. Unfortunately, a crippling inadequacy of this forum is that you can't upload files. Fortunately, there is a forum where you can: http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000 It also has a lot more visitors. Post the worksheet there and it should be easy for someone to identify the problem. Richard
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

I forgot to say (and another inadequacy of this forum is that you can't edit your own posts) that the green parentheses just mean there is metadata associated with the pasted expression. Look up "Provenance and Metadata" in the help for more information. You can delete these parentheses will no ill effects. Richard

The green parentheses around something that you copied and pasted indicate metadata, showing that the math in your new worksheet came from another source worksheet. To get rid of the green, just change one character and change it back. Since the changed expression is no longer identical to the source expression as far as Mathcad knows, the green parentheses will go away. Mona

"Richard Jackson" wrote:

The only realistic way to debug your program would be to see it. Unfortunately, a crippling inadequacy of this forum is that you can't upload files. Fortunately, there is a forum where you can: http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000 It also has a lot more visitors. Post the worksheet there and it should be easy for someone to identify the problem.

[quote="Stuart Bruff That's interesting. The privileges seem to be different: You can post new topics in this forum You can reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum I don't know how, but it certainly seems to claim I can do it. [/quote] Looking in my Profile, I see 0% 50% 100% [Uploaded: 0 Bytes / Quota: 256 KB / 0% of total] User Attachment Control Panel Obviously, they missed the bit about no quotas and 256 KB is going to chew up xmcd postings in pretty short order. Stuart

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

That's interesting. The privileges seem to be different: You can post new topics in this forum You can reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum I don't know how, but it certainly seems to claim I can do it. Stuart[/url]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

Looking in my Profile, I see 0% 50% 100% [Uploaded: 0 Bytes / Quota: 256 KB / 0% of total] User Attachment Control Panel Obviously, they missed the bit about no quotas and 256 KB is going to chew up xmcd postings in pretty short order. Stuart

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

Looking in my Profile, I see 0% 50% 100% [Uploaded: 0 Bytes / Quota: 256 KB / 0% of total] User Attachment Control Panel

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

That's interesting. The privileges seem to be different: You can download files in this forum I don't know how, but it certainly seems to claim I can do it. Stuart[/url]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1177178)

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

Just clicked on my profile button, Richard. It shows up on both my profiles (I've got a 'personal' one and one I access from work). Stuart

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

That's interesting. The privileges seem to be different: You can download files in this forum I don't know how, but it certainly seems to claim I can do it. Stuart[/url]

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

That's interesting. The privileges seem to be different: You can download files in this forum I don't know how, but it certainly seems to claim I can do it.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1177178)

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

Looking in my Profile, I see 0% 50% 100% [Uploaded: 0 Bytes / Quota: 256 KB / 0% of total] User Attachment Control Panel

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."