cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

excel component errors

JohnWarhus
4-Participant

excel component errors

I have a worksheet in which I am using the excel component to build an output table.  It appears that there is a limit to how much you can put into an excel component, because, when I reach a point in building the table, when I add one more element I get the error message "this expression is too large to be calculated".  The error occurs even on expressions that are constants.  In a couple of cases, the files have somehow become corrupted and crash within second of opening them.

Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks,

John W

14 REPLIES 14
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JohnWarhus)

Please attach your worksheet.

You may have to zip it first.

A serious bug in this forum often prevents from attaching a mathcad file. In Windows Explorer click with the right-mouse button on the mathcad file and select 'Send to' -> 'Compressed (zipped) folder'. The resulting .zip file can be attached.

You can add to the zip-file any additional files needed to operate the sheet.

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Which version of Mathcad? There is Mathcad, and there is Mathcad Prime, and they are worlds apart in every respect.

JohnWarhus
4-Participant

The file with problem is attached, along with another excel file it uses for some data.  The file has no errors now, but if you add one more excel expression the excel component, the error message will generate.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

There are missing Excel files at the start of the document, so your worksheet is a sea of red.

Whatever. It can be reduced to just the Excel component, in which case for me adding one more expression does not cause an error.

JohnWarhus
4-Participant
(To:RichardJ)

The "missing file" is in the zipped package I posted.  I have found that you sometime have to redo those readexcel call to get then to work properly.  The referenced file in in the directory tree one level above the file with the problem.

JohnWarhus
4-Participant

I think I fixed the broken links in the new attachment.  Unzip as a directory and everything should work, link-wise. I found that there was one other file needed and it is included.   I've also added one more entry to the excel component at the far right of the excel component box.  The error message is "This expression is too large to calculate".  If you remove the last entry, the error clears. 

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Which version of Prime are you using? I have Prime 4.0 and the first time I tried to load your worksheet it crashed. The second (and third) time it loaded OK, but when I deleted one expression, it crashed.

Anyway, the problem is simply the very large number of expressions you have. Assign all the values to a matrix, then pass the matrix of values to Excel using one expression.

JohnWarhus
4-Participant

While you may be correct about there being a limit on the number of expressions you can put in an excel component, the Mathcad Prime help documentation disagrees.  On the "About Excel Components" page, there is a clear statement that "You can add as many input expressions and output expressions as you want" in an excel component.  So its not clear to me that your conclusion is correct.

In any case, I've found a way to work around this limitation..  

Thank you for responding to my post.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

wrote:

While you may be correct about there being a limit on the number of expressions you can put in an excel component, the Mathcad Prime help documentation disagrees.  On the "About Excel Components" page, there is a clear statement that "You can add as many input expressions and output expressions as you want" in an excel component.  So its not clear to me that your conclusion is correct.

It has a problem when you add the last expression. There is, as far as I can tell, nothing wrong with the last expression that should cause a problem. So I guess you can choose to believe your own eyes, verified by someone elses eyes, or the documentation.

This is a file for version 4.0. Can you please attach a PDF vesion of this worksheet?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

Sure

Thanks!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:VladimirN)

There's not much to see. Just an Excel component with 15 input expressions (the worksheet from the OP had 14).

JohnWarhus
4-Participant

Richard,

please try adding an excel expression to the first excel component.  I put the second on in while trying to figure out what is going on.  You can remove it as it is not part of the problem.

Top Tags