Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exporting symbolic expressions

jhlaks-disabled
1-Newbie

exporting symbolic expressions

Hello,

I have what I hope is a very simple task. Is it possible to export/copy/save a symbolic expression to plain text with a format that can be evaluated in another language?

Are there any tools available to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
3 REPLIES 3

The symbolic math is done in Maple, so the short answer is yes, another program can evaluate the expression. I have seen the native Maple code in the clipboard under unusual circumstances, but I don't know how to generally get it. Normally the clipboard is a bitmap. The worksheet can be exported in MathML in later versions of Mathcad, and software like Mathematica is working on supporting this format.

Robert

Thanks for the note, Robert.

I too have caught glimpses of what looks to be useable text in the clip board and that would be exactly what I want.

I have also looked a little bit at the source code for the MathML output and it looks like you could write a script to convert that to useable text that could be evaluated in matlab, C, VB, etc. Don't actually want to take the time to do this myself. I wonder if there is a MathML translator out there somewhere? I'll do some searching on MathML.

-Jason

At this link:

ltsn.mathstore.ac.uk/reports/mathml.shtml

I found the following:

Computing with MathML
The use of MathML in encoding proofs and large formal mathematical documents has been tested on the standard library of COQ, a proof assistant developed at INRIA in France as part of the Hypertextual Electronic Library of Mathematics project.

Numerical Computations: using content MathML to mark up algorithms can enable the generation of code for different computer languages. For example, an algorithm for solving ODEs has been given MathML markup using the Java-based software tool Visual Maths Editor, and this in turn can generate source code in C++, Fortran or Matlab. In the latter case the resulting code can be exported to Matlab or used as a plug-in in other applications.

Looked for the tool mentioned, but have not been able to find it. Has anyone heard of this tool?

Thanks,
-Jason
Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."