cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

fibre reinforced composite material

Haydena
13-Aquamarine

fibre reinforced composite material

Excuse me, Sir

I got the big problem.

How do I do with Mathcad?

You are required to design and fabricate a continuous fibre reinforced composite material where the fibre is expected to take most of the applied load and is more rigid (brittle ) than the matrix. The composite will be used for aerospace application and should be able to functions at temperatures of about 140~180°c. Furthermore, it is needed to drill a few holes on your designed and fabricated composite material when it is used a part of an aerospace vehicle.

Select the appropriate fibre and matrix.

If the stress experienced by your selected matrix when the fibre reached its tensile strength is about 1/3(one third) of the tensile strength of the selected matrix, calculate;

1.Minimum volume fraction of the fibre

2.Critical volume fraction of the fibre

3.Calculate the volume fraction of the selected fibre if the designed and fabricate composite is expected to have a tensile strength of 1200 Mpa

4.Suggest fabrication routes and specify what is your selected fabrication route and why.  (You need to fully justify your selection, with respect to temperature, time equipment, cost….)

5.If you assume that your designed and fabricated composite is as such that both fibre and matrix fail simultaneously (this means the fibres is firmly gripped by the matrix), derive perpendicular to fibres and then use your equation to calculate the value of modulus of your designed and fabricated composite.

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Haydena)

Sounds like homework....

Here's the solution:

YOU START by entering the required information and formulae in a mathcad sheet.

WHEN you run into problem(s) using mathcad, you post your worksheet, along with a description of the problem(s) and THEN we will be of assistence.

Success!
Luc

Haydena
13-Aquamarine
(To:LucMeekes)

Dear Luc

Yes, it's homework.

Do I need change the message tags?

Top Tags