cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

find roots and assign

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

find roots and assign

Hello,

I need to find roots of a periodic equation by making initial guesses of x and assign the derived roots in "a". But, Mathcad is saying " the value must be a scalar". What does "scalar" in this case and how can I solve this?  I also need to sort "a" after assigning.

Thank you very much,

Faisal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Its always better to post the worksheet itself rather than just a picture.

How about this approach:

B.png

Worksheet in Format P5 attached

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Its always better to post the worksheet itself rather than just a picture.

How about this approach:

B.png

Worksheet in Format P5 attached

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

I tried it but did not work

See my approach in the answer above

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

Thank you very much for your help. Can you please direct as what does "scalar" and "vector" means in Mathcad language. what I understand is one is in a matrix form and the other isn't. You can also direct me to any previously discussed topic about this.

@fahmed-2 wrote:

Thank you very much for your help. Can you please direct as what does "scalar" and "vector" means in Mathcad language. what I understand is one is in a matrix form and the other isn't. You can also direct me to any previously discussed topic about this.

A scalar is a simple value, like 15.6.

A vector is a n x 1 matrix, a column vector.

Obviously vector elements are not allowed in the "root" command which made is necessary to create our own "Root" command which does 😉

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

Thank you again

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

I am very close in getting my solution but I am having an issue. the roots that I am getting has some repetitive and negative roots. My solution only involves positive non-repetitive roots. I have tried this approach but not working. Could please see to it. Thank you. My Mathcad version is 4.0

This should help:

B.png

Worksheet in Format P4 attached

fahmed-2
12-Amethyst

Thank you very much, it worked. I truly appreciate your concern and time for this, 

ttokoro
20-Turquoise

Thanks Werner_E for your very good Mathcad sheets. 

Now I can use your Mathcad sheet and it is very helpful to understand the usage of Mathcad functions.

Tokoro.

Thanks_for_Werner_E-2.png

Top Tags