cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

grouping symbolic results in increment of the variable

rdliquid
9-Granite

grouping symbolic results in increment of the variable

Hi

Is there a way to group or sort the power terms of a symbolic calculation in the increase of the variable "s"

Example: constant term+ a*s+b*s^2+c*s^3+d*s^4+....+k*s^n; where "s" is a variable

Right now the grouping seems to be random. You have s^6, then you have s^7 then you have s^2 see below:

grouping_symbolic.PNG

See the N1(s), the last equation of this work sheet attached

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Werner,

I am not sure why you are not seeing my worksheet with 

constant term+ a*s+b*s^2+c*s^3+d*s^4+....+k*s^n

I can see it when I downloaded from this thread.

Anyway, thanks for the helps. I tried your recommended approach and used "simplify" and it seem to work as compare to just an arrow--->

See below:

symbolic_arrow_vs_simplified.PNG

The advantage of using just ----> is all the s terms (s are variable and the rest are constant values) are factored outside the constants

Simplified works but then you have to manually group them 

Please see the worksheet attached. I hope you can see it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Your sheet doesn't show what your picture shows.

We don't have much control over the output of symbolic calculation in Prime  compared to symbolic math programs like Maple or Mathematica and also MatLab, which uses the same symbolic engine as Mathcad (but more up to date as they own it).

You may try the "collect,s" modifier. Eventually combined with "simplify" (obviously "simplify" before "collect", not after).

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

This may work in Mathcad 15:

LucMeekes_0-1601024666713.png

If needed with a small tweak.

Luc

It works in MC15 but the same results could be obtained using a simple symbolic evaluation, sometimes "simplify" or "expand" are required:

Werner_E_0-1601031724460.png

But  "Polynorm" fails at negative signs as do "simplify" or "expand". Thats the reason I suggested "collect"

Werner_E_1-1601031841578.png

Hi Werner,

I am not sure why you are not seeing my worksheet with 

constant term+ a*s+b*s^2+c*s^3+d*s^4+....+k*s^n

I can see it when I downloaded from this thread.

Anyway, thanks for the helps. I tried your recommended approach and used "simplify" and it seem to work as compare to just an arrow--->

See below:

symbolic_arrow_vs_simplified.PNG

The advantage of using just ----> is all the s terms (s are variable and the rest are constant values) are factored outside the constants

Simplified works but then you have to manually group them 

Please see the worksheet attached. I hope you can see it

You already provide the summands splitted by the powers of s and you just want to see them again?
Then you could try "explicit,ALL"

Werner_E_0-1601106538052.png

Top Tags