cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

how to solve for variable with units

MC_BT_18
6-Contributor

how to solve for variable with units

Hi guys!

I'm new here, trying to learn the basics of mathcad prime 4. I'm having trouble solving what I thought was a simple operation.

I'm trying to get a numerical value for k, but I can't make it work. I tried looking in the help and googling, but I'm not getting any closer. I know the answer is probably simple, but I'm just not finding it. So I was hoping for some advice and help on how to write this stuff in mathcad so it understands what I want to do..

One last thing, k is a factor in wind resistance (Wind resistance = k * velocity)

EDIT: I tried removing all units, which seems to work. But then I have to reassign all my units again, which is rather annoying.. I believe there is a way, which I'm just not seeing (yet)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MC_BT_18
6-Contributor
(To:MC_BT_18)

Updated worksheet, with the solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The symbolic solver does not understand units, so the numeric solve block is the best option. You need to multiply the guess value of k by units of kg/s. This should be obvious, because the units in the exponential must cancel.

MC_BT_18
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

Well, I tried assigning my guess value for k a unit of kg/s, but it still won't work. I end up with the error that the units aren't compatible..

EDIT: Just got help from support. Now it works, by making the function v(t) to v(t,k) instead

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Sorry. I noticed v(t,k) problem, but forgot to mention it.

MC_BT_18
6-Contributor

Updated worksheet, with the solution 🙂

Top Tags