cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

if z := { -1i + [ 2i / ( 1i + x / 1i - x ) + 1 ] } , atan(z) and 1i*atanh(z) are Equivalent or Not in Mathcad ?

lvl107
20-Turquoise

if z := { -1i + [ 2i / ( 1i + x / 1i - x ) + 1 ] } , atan(z) and 1i*atanh(z) are Equivalent or Not in Mathcad ?

Hello, Everyone.

Equivalent or Not.PNG

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lvl107)

I guess not, since there are too many solutions:

atan.png

so z=1 is an exception, and z=-1 is another. I guess those exceptions become obvious if you care to write the atan and the atanh in their exponential forms.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Give us more information! Why do you think those expressions could/would/should be equivalent?

And if you just want to know if Mathcad thinks they are equivalent you will have to ask Mathcad.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Many thanks, Werner . I guess I have been reminded about my question. I am sorry. I have asked with the incorrect question. And my question would be like the below. And Mathcad has answered completely my question :

Correct+the+question.PNG

Thanks again.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You can have all of these, but what for???

1.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise

And I have the similar question :

The+Second+Solution.PNG

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I guess not, since there are too many solutions:

atan.png

so z=1 is an exception, and z=-1 is another. I guess those exceptions become obvious if you care to write the atan and the atanh in their exponential forms.

Success!
Luc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

What are you doing here?

You demand that Mathcad solves an equations which (at least for Mathcad as it isn't aware of all ambiguities) is an identity. So for Mathcad any z is "solution". Why do you think there only are two???

So Mathcad gives the identity

2.png

and you can use

3.png

but: TO ACHIEVE WHAT?

Top Tags