cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

iteration

SFares
12-Amethyst

iteration

Hello,

Please scroll down in my sheet until you see the red arrow where i have my question. i am trying to maxamize the value for (Lpm_v) so that the ratio at the bottom does not exceed a certain value which i listed inside my sheet. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

I only just realized what you meant . I'm being dense today . Let's try that again (the answer happens to be the same).

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SFares)

Create a function, and then maximize it with a constraint using a solve block.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

I have plagiarized Richards method and shown a slightly different approach using a standard Given / Find solve block, as I am bored waiting for the WC.

In interesting to see that the two approaches converge to a slightly different result.

In which way is this a maximization?

SFares
12-Amethyst

Werner,

i am not sure if this maximization, but i want to calculate the maximum value for Lpm_v2 that will make the expression in the square root not to exceed the value that i listed.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Sameer,

If you look at my worksheet I have calculated LPM_v2, as has Richard, but he has called in 'Answer'.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

In which way is this a maximization?

Who said anything about maximization?

Isn't it the value of L.PM_V2 which should be maximized according to sameer's description?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

L.PM_V2 is something Mike added.

I just noticed that unless CTOL is reduced the result is not valid because it breaks the constraint slightly.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

It seems ok using Given / Find solve block.

I think Find always looks for "exact" answers, whereas maximize just gets to within CTOL, and stops.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

That makes sense

I have just increased CTOL and the differential between the answers reduces.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I only just realized what you meant . I'm being dense today . Let's try that again (the answer happens to be the same).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Not just you. I totally forgot about Maximize relying on CTOL.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

As the function Comb_V_Pos_etc(L.PM_etc.) is strictly increasing, maximizing Comb or maximizing L.PM is the same.

Here is another slightly different approach using solve and the result is of course the same as Mike's. If you set CTOL to something low as 10^-7 in Richards sheet, his sheet also returns the same value.

12.06.png

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Here is another slightly different approach using solve

And the most elegant in my opinion.

Multiple variations for Sameer to work with.

Thank you all so much for your efforts!!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

No problem at all.

Here is another slightly different approach using solve

And the most elegant in my opinion.

I'll vote for Richard's second approach as sameer did. While more cumbersome its the only one which effectively maximizes L.PM and does not rely on Comb being strictly increasing.

Top Tags