cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

mathcad units and formatting calculation results

idahoan
11-Garnet

mathcad units and formatting calculation results

A question regarding mathcad's use of units and one regarding the result of a calculation:

1.  at the bottom of page two, is there a way to delete the extraneous unit conversions (1/m * m * 1/ft * ft)?

2.  in the final calculation on page 4, i would like to have mathcad show the result of each of increment calculations (one value for each value of delta sigma v_i) and then i can add a summation function to obtain the final result shown (0.901 in.

any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

2.  in the final calculation on page 4, i would like to have mathcad show the result of each of increment calculations (one value for each value of delta sigma v_i) and then i can add a summation function to obtain the final result shown (0.901 in.

H.C is a vector and the log creates a vector, too. So the multiplication is done as scalar product of two vectors.

As you'd like it to be done element wise, you have to apply vectorization (the arrow over the expression).

You can find this operator on the Calculate ribbbon, Operators, Vector and matrices (the V with the arrow over it). The vector sum can be found in the same drop down (-> Analysis) and of course you may assign the result to a variable, if needed.

B2.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@idahoan wrote:

A question regarding mathcad's use of units and one regarding the result of a calculation:

1.  at the bottom of page two, is there a way to delete the extraneous unit conversions (1/m * m * 1/ft * ft)?

Simply delete all units. Doing so will result Prime to display the standard unit which, if SI-unit system is preselected, is Pa. You may delete this standard unit and replace by whatever unit you like. You may even type a rather senseless unit (like Ohm in the picture below) and Prime will add other SI-units to make a strange, but correct result. You may also type kip/ft^2 instead of ksf or whatever you'd like to see here. But you have to overwrite all the units by the unit you want to be displayed. This is different to real Mathcad, where you type the desired unit in the box next to the displayed unit.

B.png

H.C is a vector and the log creates a vector, too. So the multiplication is done as scalar product of two vectors.

As you'd like it to be done element wise, you have to apply vectorization (the arrow over the expression).

You can find this operator on the Calculate ribbbon, Operators, Vector and matrices (the V with the arrow over it). The vector sum can be found in the same drop down (-> Analysis) and of course you may assign the result to a variable, if needed.

B2.png

Thank you very much.  your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Top Tags