cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

mathcad15M030 using Windows8 on HP Envy 64bit desktop

JohnArcher
7-Bedrock

mathcad15M030 using Windows8 on HP Envy 64bit desktop

The program loaded easily from the downloaded file. However it has some strange behaviour.

1. The slightest mistake with a mouse click causes a program crash.

2. Any attempt to move the position of a tool group, in the header or on a worksheet, produces a ghostly companion outline and great difficuty in

placement.

This is very irritating and not user friendly; M020 never did this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

John Archer.

14 REPLIES 14

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'm not sure if Mathcad 15 is even tested on Win8 machines during QA. In any case, I'll forward this along to development and see if there's something they can recommend.

Thank you Roger. I had the same feeling!

My new desktop is HP Envy Phoenix 810-170st DT(Pitt2) PCUS, Win 8.1 Pro. 64 bit.

It has an extra solid state disk for faster calculation and an unlocked i7-4820k quadcore processor.

I am 78 and a retired IEEE Life Member with several patents; just filed another!

Prime is yet of no use to me, my maintenance locked licence keeps me current with v15. I am probably one of many older users who fondly remember v7 through v11.2, which I still have on my XP machine. Please do not leave us out of the testing loop.

Do any other users feel as I do?

As an extra for someone in PTC, I ordered Brent Maxwell's new book about Prime 3.0 on Dec17th. using the indicated supplier on the website. Apparently I might get it by Jan 9th! Wow!

John, I checked in with tech support to see if they could offer any suggestions. I was told that this problem has not been reported before. Granted, M030 has only been out less a month, so it might just be a matter of time. Could you try re-installing M030 and see if maybe the first installation somehow messed up.

I'm not sure why the Maxwell book is taking so long. While you're waiting, I assume you already know have the worksheets?

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-4740

While you're waiting, I assume you already know have the worksheets?

http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-4740

Sorry, no worksheets in this link. Just a commercial for the Maxwell book and a link to amazon to buy it.

M030 is stable on my Win7 64 bit HP laptop, but when I have a toolbox open on a worksheet I see a lagging image when it is repositioned. We have a programming problem.

Somebody at PTC must have an interest in the company distributing the Maxfield book. Their reply to my delivery query was a litany of self-centered excuses; apparently twenty three days to execute a three day job is ok with them.

Ok, I'll inquire about the lagging problem on Win7.

In terms of the book order, I assume you ordered it via Amazon?

Sorry about the false claim regarding the worksheets. I think I saw the worksheets link at top and jumped to conclusions. Wishful thinking...

case is logged., Roger. I guess that v15 QA is handled by the B team now.

I have been using / trying to use Mathcad 15 M030 on Windows 8.1 and any attempt to use the delete key in a plot chart e.g to delete and replace an extent on an axis causes Mathcad to crash instantly and totally. Any one working on this???

Ted Lesster

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:TedLesster)

LABAN LESSTER wrote:

I have been using / trying to use Mathcad 15 M030 on Windows 8.1 and any attempt to use the delete key in a plot chart e.g to delete and replace an extent on an axis causes Mathcad to crash instantly and totally. Any one working on this???

Ted Lesster

I am running the same version of Mathcad on multiple machines, all on W8.1 without any issues.

Does this happen all the time on multiple sheets?

Have you tried re-installing the software?

Thanks for quick reply. M030 seems to run well other than the delete key use inside a plot/graph box. It is reminiscent of the Print Preview problem a few years ago. I reinstalled M030 with same results. I also went back a rev and installed M020. Interestingly using the delete key in M020 does not cause an instant and irrecoverable crash as in M030, but appears to send the software off into never-never land for a while (spinning circle several seconds on an Intel i7 processor computer) before it does the deletion, it also appears to flash on and off any toolbar e.g Greek alphabet once or twice while it is doing it! Perhaps a clue here!

Incidentally when I start Setup it tries to bring in a file with ....Amd64....in its address and which I have to cancel 4 or 5 times before it goes ahead and installs normally.

Ted Lesster

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

LABAN LESSTER wrote:

Thanks for quick reply. M030 seems to run well other than the delete key use inside a plot/graph box. It is reminiscent of the Print Preview problem a few years ago. I reinstalled M030 with same results. I also went back a rev and installed M020. Interestingly using the delete key in M020 does not cause an instant and irrecoverable crash as in M030, but appears to send the software off into never-never land for a while (spinning circle several seconds on an Intel i7 processor computer) before it does the deletion, it also appears to flash on and off any toolbar e.g Greek alphabet once or twice while it is doing it! Perhaps a clue here!

Incidentally when I start Setup it tries to bring in a file with ....Amd64....in its address and which I have to cancel 4 or 5 times before it goes ahead and installs normally.

Ted Lesster

Very strange behavior. Hopefully the issue will be resolved in the M040 release.

Hopefully, yes, or Prime 4 catches up.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I wouldn't hold our breath. Prime will be closer to want we want, but I expect not quite there.

Top Tags