cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

memory and handling of large data sets M15 vs Prime

ptc-4554973
1-Newbie

memory and handling of large data sets M15 vs Prime

Hi all,

I have had problems with M15 handling large amounts of data. When I say large I mean say 1000 x 40,000 or at least in that order. (I'm using MC to process segments of wav audio files). I wouldn't mind so much having limitations but it's the way M15 deals with things when it runs out of memory i.e. it seems very inconsistent; one minute saying there's no memory but if I restart it manages OK. Somethimes it just crashes. It doesn't seem to be handling things very well when it hits the end stops and it gives you no idea how close to the limits you are and where the memory is used up.

I converted my file to Prime and opened it and it seems better at least insofar as it appears able to handle larger amounts of data e.g. 1000 x 160000 or maybe more (I haven't tested the limits).

Does anyone else have any experience with this and is it true that Prime is better in this regard (even though there are other serious limitations with Prime)?

So it's a conundrum - do I use MC15 or Prime - I guess that's for me to decide but it appears that I may have to use both for different applications, which is a real pain in the posterior.

D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

if you are using Prime 2 or Prime 3 64-bit versions, then you should see the large data handling capabilties are better by a factor of about 10. we're talking arrays in excess of 250,000,000 elements in the 64-bit versions of Prime.

Thomas

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

if you are using Prime 2 or Prime 3 64-bit versions, then you should see the large data handling capabilties are better by a factor of about 10. we're talking arrays in excess of 250,000,000 elements in the 64-bit versions of Prime.

Thomas

Top Tags