cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

need help with solving a function

ptc-4701253
1-Newbie

need help with solving a function

I really got lost here. I am trying to figure out x where X1 is equal to zero.

Here is the file. See what is the issue?

9 REPLIES 9

plot it first to see where to look, then give an initial value for x in keeping with where the nearest point to your desired value is.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4701253)

The function is never equal to zero.

well I need to find x and assume the function equal to zero

so that what I believe ; but could you please explain why it should not be zero

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

If x is real then cosh(x) has a minimum value of 1, when x=0. The function cosh(x) is never equal to zero for real x. If x is allowed to be complex you have a solution, but not if x must be real.

I am really not following here Richard

I thought the file says that cosh[(beta*L)*(x/L)]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

cosh("anything") is never equal to zero, if "anything" is real. It does not matter what "anything" is. It could be a simple variable, say x, or it could be a complicated expression, as in your case. There is no real value that the expression will evaluate to that will make cosh("expression") less than 1.

This is vibration of a cantilever. The function(s) are supposed to be the mode shape functions. I believe they are mis-typed; rather than "cosh(beta*L)*x/L" should be cosh(beta*L*x/L). But that's not all that's wrong with this equation. A web search yielded many confusing results.

In the worksheet, everything is inside the cosh function. I have no idea if that is correct. Too far outside my field!

My point is that while the function as supplied cannot cross zero (as you said,) the function should cross zero. For a discussion (which also has problems):

"http://emweb.unl.edu/Mechanics-Pages/Scott-Whitney/325hweb/Beams.htm"

Top Tags