cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

parallel to the y-Axis

pfinger
1-Newbie

parallel to the y-Axis

Hi,

i am a little stuck here. I have to plot some functions in one coordinate system, whithin two parallelels to the y-axis.

for example if I want to plot x = 0.0075, x = 0.4 and f (x) = 4x +5 in one system, how should I proceed. The function f(x) is no problem, but i cant get Mathcad to plot x=0.4 and so on...
I use mathcad 14th

thanks a lot,
Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndyWesterman
4-Participant
(To:pfinger)

Hi Peter,

2 ways to add markers.

Easy way is to right click on the graph, select format from the pop-up menu and then tick the Show markers checkbox for either/both X & Y axes. click OK to finish.

On the graph now you should have 2 small black squares (placeholders) on the selected axes.

select one of them and enter the numberr you need.

Slightly harder way is:

If you want to add a horizontal line to a simple X-Y plot, seletct the Y-axis function place holder type a ',' (Comma) which should give you a new placeholder that allows a second trace to be added to the plot.

In this place holder type a value (say 0.4) and for a simple graph it should show a secondary line.

To add a vertical line, the same procedure will work on the X-axis placeholder.

You may need to add aa second (matching) entry on the Y-axis , MathCad does its best but once you start adding multiple graphs onto one plot it can get confused.

E.g. the Y-axis place holder will contain "f(x),y" and the X-axis "x,0.4"

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

NB: it usually helps to add you work sheet so that we can try to understand where the specific sticking point is.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AndyWesterman
4-Participant

Hi Peter,

2 ways to add markers.

Easy way is to right click on the graph, select format from the pop-up menu and then tick the Show markers checkbox for either/both X & Y axes. click OK to finish.

On the graph now you should have 2 small black squares (placeholders) on the selected axes.

select one of them and enter the numberr you need.

Slightly harder way is:

If you want to add a horizontal line to a simple X-Y plot, seletct the Y-axis function place holder type a ',' (Comma) which should give you a new placeholder that allows a second trace to be added to the plot.

In this place holder type a value (say 0.4) and for a simple graph it should show a secondary line.

To add a vertical line, the same procedure will work on the X-axis placeholder.

You may need to add aa second (matching) entry on the Y-axis , MathCad does its best but once you start adding multiple graphs onto one plot it can get confused.

E.g. the Y-axis place holder will contain "f(x),y" and the X-axis "x,0.4"

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

NB: it usually helps to add you work sheet so that we can try to understand where the specific sticking point is.

Hi Andy,

i just tried what you said.

The version with the makers is working quite well, but its limitet to two makers per axis. The second version is the one i tried to get working on my own but the promlem is this graph isn't going the whole way up and down.

Peter

AndyWesterman
4-Participant

Hi Peter,

the graph usually manages to get it right & fill the width (or height) but if (as in your case) it doesn't,

you can force the range that it plots by creating a range variable.

As the information above , before the graph , define the variable y as "y:-40;60" or "Y:-40,-39;60"

Set the end point to suit your graph.

This will force mathcad to plot a range that you want.

Regards

Andy

Thanks a lot

now it's all working!

We can have in Mathcad Prime a lot of parallel to the y-Axis

It is one why I like Mathcad Prime!

Top Tags