cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

plot parallel lines

Narlin
1-Newbie

plot parallel lines

Hi,
I want to plot a series of parallel lines (more than 20). How can this be done using a single ordinate variable?

narlin
7 REPLIES 7

jmG

Use arrays rather than functions.

I had a reason to ask about plotting parallel lines. check out the attached file (MCad 14) and the graphs at the very end. I was trying to figure out how many marbles (small circles) could be put into a disc (larger circle). I used brute force and wanted to plot some of them to assure myself that the algorithm was OK. Of course, if the disc is too big or the marbles too small, MCad chokes on the graph, but the count still works fine. I did collect some data this way, but there wasn't any obvious correlation between disc size, marble size, and the number of marbles that would fit.

Can anyone point me to where this problem has been worked on before?

narlin

>MCad chokes on the graph<<br> __________________________

Mathad 11.2a never chokes, but crashes Windows.
Careless users choke faster than Mathcad.
Maybe just a Mathcad 14 problem ?

RemToBug ?

jmG

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Narlin)

It seems the problem is not as simple as one might at first think:

http://www.buddenbooks.com/jb/pack/circle/index.htm

Richard
LouP
10-Marble
(To:Narlin)

A few months ago, I had tried to figure out why some multiple trace graphs of mine worked and others did not. I found the "help" as useful as one might expect, and the "Creating Amazing Images..." did just that, but didn't have the "How It Actually Works" chapter. I plodded through a number of different examples to determine what the 2D graphs really does. My summary is attached. It's a "2D Graphs for Dummies" for my own reference, with examples even I can understand. You may find it useful.

One of these days, I'll tackle the 3D version.

Lou

The way I have resumed to myself the 2D plot is about like this:
A real data base system, or virtual depending upon the plotting arguments x, f(x). It has auctionnering search so that if one trace wants to plot but in the data base one does not [like Gamma(3,x) that starts at 0] it will force the defective plot to the first value, for instance it is possible to extend Gamma(3,x) into the negative region.
The tracking tool goes further than root, it goes lower than Given/Find. The autoscale is a wise math extra as it gives bounds (most of the times). To the contrary of many complains, the Mathcad QuickPlot 11 and lower, is a lot more useful and automated package than Mathematica for example. Detail in your sheet: replace NaN by the blanking tool " ... just writing as reading my recollection. The limit in points plotted is the limit of the data base 499999 points, i,e: one (1) trace 499999 points or 499999 traces (family) an one point each ... not too much use for that. There are inaccuracy in the pixel division of the plot [Remember Richard demo]. Quickplot is Metafile, you can thus copy and paste as metafile and superpose a bitmap, even a live graph.

What else do I know or don't recall ?
Sure, I have some feature in head !

jmG
Top Tags