cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

polar transformation

gLanzer
1-Newbie

polar transformation

hi guys,

new to mathcad (trial license ver15.0)

Is there a way to convert a complex function to its polar form easily?

Say, a+bi >> sqrt(a^2+b^2) angle: atan(b/a)

Also, is there an easy way to find and assign a variable the conjugate of the complex function (without having to retype all the way)

attached is a simple problem (err solution) which i made.

notice that i have to rewrite just to get the conjugate..

and i can't outrightly transform it to phasor..

thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:gLanzer)

Also, is there an easy way to find and assign a variable the conjugate of the complex function (without having to retype all the way)

thanks..

Yes. Go to Help and search for the word 'polar'. From the results, select the page 'functions for complex numbers'; this describes the arg function and modulus function. Then goto the linked Quicksheet "Complex Numbers: Polar Notation". This gives examples of their use and gives a pair of (user-defined) functions that handle transformation between the polar and rectangular forms.

You can get the complex conjugate by using the built-in conjugate operator (key stroke " in M13).

As an aside, it is generally better to post a worksheet rather than a pdf file - save somebody the effort of typing in what they see and 'print outs' can mask subtle errors, such as implicit multiplication or incorrect choice of index type (ie, index v literal). Ideally, post the worksheet in the version you use and the earliest version Mathcad will let you save as (the latter gives you a much wider audience as Mathcad worksheet format s are not generally backward compatible), eg Mathcad 11 will not read Mathcad 13 xmcd files).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:gLanzer)

thanks..

Yes. Go to Help and search for the word 'polar'. From the results, select the page 'functions for complex numbers'; this describes the arg function and modulus function. Then goto the linked Quicksheet "Complex Numbers: Polar Notation". This gives examples of their use and gives a pair of (user-defined) functions that handle transformation between the polar and rectangular forms.

You can get the complex conjugate by using the built-in conjugate operator (key stroke " in M13).

As an aside, it is generally better to post a worksheet rather than a pdf file - save somebody the effort of typing in what they see and 'print outs' can mask subtle errors, such as implicit multiplication or incorrect choice of index type (ie, index v literal). Ideally, post the worksheet in the version you use and the earliest version Mathcad will let you save as (the latter gives you a much wider audience as Mathcad worksheet format s are not generally backward compatible), eg Mathcad 11 will not read Mathcad 13 xmcd files).

Check first your formulas and attach a work sheet with a circuit diagram.

jmG

sorry for the late reply..

attached are the problem and the mathcad file..

Sorry, no collab does homework, use your book.

Comments:

1. Why enlarge a scanned image from book ?

2. The quiz is that there is no answer because there is no question.

Alternating sources have no polarity.

MCADunk_1.gif

Can't you parallel the resistive load and the inductive loads ?

Maybe not because the resistive load is just heating the birds on the line.

Invent some resistive load and work by the examples in the book.

If cos f is 0.8575 and not the same as cos f Z, can you conclude the

resistive load ? Can you check if pf 0.8575 is cos f for Z.

Can't open your Mathcad version. [jmG]

jmG

Top Tags