cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

problem wth units

szatynkabuduje
3-Visitor

problem wth units

Can someone explain me why i can't get the value in right unit? The final unit should be obtained in kPa, instead i get sth far differentBez%C2%A0tytu%C5%82u11.png

5 REPLIES 5

Which result are looking for as your sheet is hard to follow.

Also why are you redefining the following units?

Clipboard01.jpg

a.f and b.f should be of dimension "length" but they are unitless because you have defined m:=6 somewhere above and so you have overwritten the unit meter. Defining a.f:=3*m make a.f=18 and not 3 meter. Use a different name or at least a different style for your variable m.

1.png

athurin
4-Participant
(To:Werner_E)

<confusing discovery>

Please note that what follows is not an answer to this problem (although somehow related).

I checked what would happen if this happened in MP3, and I found out something a little bit disturbing.

First, the good news is that it doesn't seem possible to redefine a unit accidentally. Defining a variable with the same name as a unit changes the default label that is associated to this label, but it is still possible to force it as a unit. It is bad practice, and confusing, but you can get away with it if you pay attention to the colors associated to the labels.

It becomes a bit strange (would I dare to say "creepy" ?) when you try to redefine the unit by forcing the unit label (which is very very bad practice !).

I have attached a sheet, it is hard to explain what I saw, but unless I missed something essential, it seems that the unit is both redefined, and not redefined, at the same time. PTC invented quantum calculus !

</confusing discovery>

Spooky, indeed!

I like this one most:

1.png

especially when you delete the m on the RHS and replace it by a manually typed m (which this time is your redefined unit). You get this:

2.png

So never say again that PTC would have no sense of humor!

Omg, you're right ! I wouldn't come up wth that myself

Top Tags