cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

"Function: X Y {VARIABLE}" is returned for a function that has two range variables

trip12345
5-Regular Member

"Function: X Y {VARIABLE}" is returned for a function that has two range variables

I'm solving for unknowns and I thought I could just pick a range for the variables and brute force method a solution. I defined the two variables over a range and called the function and it returns an error that doesn't come up in a google search so I'm at a loss currently. Any help is appreciated.

Trip

3 REPLIES 3

What we see in the picture you posted is not an error message. When you evaluate RM, Prime simply tells you that RM is a function, which is true (its defined one line above).

To solve a system of equations for variables you may either use the symbolic "solve" command or a numeric solve block. Solving one equation for one variable can also be done using the numeric "root" command.

You may lookup how to do it in the help pages of Prime.

Of course you may also write a program in Prime yourself which iterates through MM and MB and returns the values which fit best. But why would you do so if you have much more powerful ways to do the job on hand.

From your pic its not clear which two equations you would like to solve and if the other variables have been assigned values.

For further help you should always attach your worksheet, not just a picture.

trip12345
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for the reply. I am working on making a worksheet that is able to be shared. Now I've started a new problem and run into issues again. Attached is the example worksheet. When I try to define a variable for the system of equations to solve with I get an error message:

"these units are not compatible"

or:

"The variable is undefined. Check that the label is set correctly."

I thought you could define variables with subscripts and I don't know what I am doing wrong this time. Your help is greatly appreciated because it's hard to google this simple error and get the right solution.

re using matrix subscripts but for naming variables you have to use literal subscripts (te one you get using the shortcut    Ctrl -

Top Tags