cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing functional dependence from a calc result?

Quite new to the MathCad game but am finding it very handy in my work.

There's a simple bit of functionality which I would like, and it seems to me that it should be possible, but I can't figure out how to make it happen. Is there a way to strip the functional dependence from a calculated result?

e.g. if I define a:=5, b:=7 and c:=a+b
then c=12.

But what if I want to statically assign the current value of c, either to itself or to another variable?

i.e. I want to be able to assign d:=func(c) where "func" assigns only the numerical value to d, but not the dependence on a and b. Thereafter, if I change a or b upstream, c would recalculate but d would remain (in this case) 12.

To make a poor analogy, I want to be able to do the equivalent of Excel's "paste values only".

thanks in advance,

5 REPLIES 5

Select the "12", copy, place the cursor somewhere else in the worksheet, paste.

Richard

On 11/11/2005 4:25:03 PM, rijackson wrote:
>Select the "12", copy, place
>the cursor somewhere else in
>the worksheet, paste.
>
>Richard

No, I want to be able to assign the 12 to another variable for downstream use. (Yes, I know I _can_ type it in manually.)

You can't just copy and paste it into an assignment placeholder?

a:=3
b:=4
c:=a*b
c=12

copy and paste to

c:=12

No?

Richard
Highlighted

On 11/11/2005 4:45:21 PM, rijackson wrote:
>You can't just copy and paste
>it into an assignment
>placeholder?

*snip*

Yes, I understand that this works. I would like to know if I have the _additional option_ of force-transferring the numeric value only via keystrokes.

The example I give is somewhat oversimplified...I'm just trying to understand if the action is possible in principle.

On 11/11/2005 4:52:49 PM, lengineer wrote:
>Yes, I understand that this works. I would like to know if I have the _additional option_ of force-transferring the numeric value only via keystrokes.

Not that I'm aware of, however, there is a possible way using Mathcad's components.

On opening, the button component assigns the initial value of c to 'itself', but subsequent changes to a or b will not get past the button. Click on the button to update the value.

Stuart