Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

significant digits

ptc-1889869

significant digits

Does anyone know how to set the number of significant digits in format/results? This is very interesting for the engineer, working with both very large and very small values. I have a preference for 4 significant digits in the engineering format as could be set on the old famous HP handcalculators.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: significant digits

"Paul Sillem" wrote:

Does anyone know how to set the number of significant digits in format/results? This is very interesting for the engineer, working with combination of both very large and very small values. I have a preference for 4 significant digits in the engineering format as could be set on an old HP handcalculator.

"Stuart Bruff" wrote:

It is possible to write a function that will show SD. Stuart

Request for enhancement - significant digits

In format/results/numberformat I want to choose the number of significant digits in combination with the engineering notation. The last significant digit should be rounded. Is that difficult or much asked? All engineers would really benefit, because you wouldnt have to adjust nearly every answer. I dont want to write such a function; I want it to be applied to the whole worksheet. How do we get Mathcad (or PTC) to apply this enhancement? I have asked Mathsoft several times, but its still not available.

RE: Request for enhancement - significant digits

Yes, it is an old request. I, and several others, have also asked for this in the results formatting. PTC is definitely aware of this request. Maybe we will see it in version 15? Richard

You can now vote for the idea in https://www.ptcusercommunity.com/ideas/6198 to push the realization.

Announcements