Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simplification causing out of memory error

JBird
Participant

simplification causing out of memory error

Greetings all

I would like to simplify the expression in the attached worksheet (and image), however I am faced with the "out of memory" error, which occurs after about 30minutes of processing. I have 16GB ram, i7-4790 CPU at 3.6Ghz, 64 bit Windows 10, MathCAD version 15.

Please note that all letters are variables, and I intend for none of them to hold any particular value. To avoid confusing MathCAD I have tried replacing e,i, and j by different letters, but to no avail.

I predict that the result will be in numerator/denominator form, with numerator having a sum of  x^2*y^2, x^2, y^2, xy, and the denomiator having neither x nor y.

Please would someone comment on the use of "simplify,max" and if it has any relevance to me.

Thank you kindly.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: simplification causing out of memory error

I noticed that ther is one big expression occurs twice in your term and so I thought that we could have more success with some kind of substitutiuon. I guess without luck (didn't wait for the last expression to finish simplfying).

I think the painful truth is that Mathcads symbolics simply isn't good enough.

Furthermore I won't expect a short result expression - it rather would be quite large, I guess.

Pic1.png

Hi,

a possible simplification could be the following:

jbird.jpg

Thank you both for your input.

Essentially I need to equate the co-efficients of x.x y.y and x.y to another equation, so F.M's simplification may hold high value.

Thanks once again

For something like this, you might want to think about using Maple. Mathcad's symbolics aren't strong enough.

maple.png

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."