cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

solving ODE that consists of erfc(x)

sjung-2
1-Newbie

solving ODE that consists of erfc(x)

Dear all,

I'm trying to solve a PDE that consists of erfc(x) and exp(x^2) like the file attached below, which is simply a poisson's equation.

Since it has an unknown boundary condition, F electric field at position x=0, I tried 'minerr(F)' type resolution with F declared beforehand by initial guess.

Unfortunatlely, it keeps saying that F in the 'miners' syntax has not been defined.

Could anyone can help me?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sung

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You have a unit problem/inconsistency which makes the odesolve solve block fail, when called. Furthermore you should change the label of F in V(F):=... to "variable".

The meter in constant A should be to the power of 2, not to the power of 5, as they are now. Otherwise you can't add F^2 (under the root).

I am not sure what the error is, you made, but if I boldly add the required units to A

your sheet works OK:

WE

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You have a unit problem/inconsistency which makes the odesolve solve block fail, when called. Furthermore you should change the label of F in V(F):=... to "variable".

The meter in constant A should be to the power of 2, not to the power of 5, as they are now. Otherwise you can't add F^2 (under the root).

I am not sure what the error is, you made, but if I boldly add the required units to A

your sheet works OK:

WE

Dear Werner,

It is my pleasure to have you again for this problem. I tried your tip and it works well.

In fact, I forgot to multiply N_{V} to the coefficient A that has a unit of m^{-3}.

Thank you very much for your keen observation.

Sungyeop

Dear Werner,

It seems solver work fine but, now, the problem is the value of V(d) which is unreasonably larger than 0.6 V (the boundary condition).

How can we make sure the boundary condition is fulfilled V(d) = 0.06 V, V(0) = 0?

Regards,

You may want to have a look at your ODE as it seems that F has not much influence on the outcome:

What an inspring comment it was. I made a mistake in the polarity of the coefficients. Converting signs of A, B, C resulted in a good results.

Thank you very  much Werner.

Sincerely,

Sungyeop

Top Tags