cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

symbolic calculation with nested arrays

pprestininzi
1-Newbie

symbolic calculation with nested arrays

Hi all,

i once used to write on Mathcad Collab forum.

here is my question:

with reference to the .mcd file attached, how can i use nested arrays for symbolic calculation?

thanks

45 REPLIES 45

HI ,

Is this what you are wanting to achieve?

Regards

Andy

hi, thanks for the quick reply,

can you please post your worksheet in mcd 2001 version?

thanks

Edit sorry for the multiple post: the system kept on saying that the failed to send the reply....i managed to delete the multiple posts.

Hi,

I'm sorry but Mathcad 15 only saves as far back as ver 11.

All I can do is attach a picure.

Capture.PNG

regards

Andy

i can't replicate the loop you defined, don't know what that right pointing arrow means.

please find attached what i was able to achieve (preatty much nothing to be honest)

Hi,

Right pointing arrow was the symbolic calculation arrow , but it seems to work equally well either way in Mathcad15.

Your sheet is giving :

Capture.PNG

do you get the same result?

Regards

Andy

did you just open my sheet?

in mathcad 2001, E(x,y)-> results in "no symbolic result was found"

strangely the E function is well defined, as if i try to evaluate it like E(2,1) it correctly results in (0,2,1,-2,-1,3,1,-3,1)

Very odd.

I just opened the sheet as I downloaded it from the PTC website& that's the answer it gave.

Since it can evaluate a numeric result it obviously has saved a version of the symbolic answer, just that it doesn't want to display it.

Unfortunately I don't have any way to try in a lower version so you will need an expert for the 2001i revision.

Regards

Andy

i have to thank you for your time!

let's wait for someone who can help us!

Here is the file in 2001 format.

hi richard, thanks for converting the file to mcd 2001: however it stil doesn't work: moreover with your file (with the definition containing the right pointing arrow) even the definition turns red...

strange things going on eh?

Things have changed over the years. It works in version 11. I guess something was changed in either version 2001i or version 11. What is the error message when it turns red?

i managed to take a screenshot with the error displayed: notice the correct evaluation of E(-1,-1)

It may just be that in version 2000 the symbolic engine does not understand programs.

if you check the very first mcd file that i posted it had the same problem even without programming.

There are many reasons the symbolic processor may not be able to find a solution. The reasons in the two files may not be the same.

Does this work in 2000?

hi Richard,

1) what do you mean with TWO files?

2) no, your last sheet doesn't work: both e_7*f(x,y)-> and e_i*f(x,y)-> turn red ("no symbolic result was found").

3) i'm using mathcad 2001 professional.

Can we now state the problem is related to nested arrays?

By two files I mean the file I posted and the file you posted.

The only thing we can state is that the symbolic processor in verson 2000 does not understand the syntax. What happens if you replace e with a vector of 1's?

it works just fine: see attached image.

In which case it does look like the symbolic processor in version 2000 can't handle nested arrays.

strange that nobody had bumped into this before...i don't know if i have to feel unlucky or proud....

thanks everybody for the support....once back home (in a couple of months) i will try in mcd14 which i have purchased but forgot home...

You are using a version of Mathcad that's more than 10 years old. All of these examples work in later versions (certainly version 11 and later, and 11 came out only a couple of years after 2000). Many people may have seen this before. It's just that we have forgotten it

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

I checked behaviour in Mcad 2000.

The symbolic processor is not completely unhappy with a nested array: e-> will show the nested array as being a nested array, although the nesting cannot be expanded. (I use '->' here for symbolic evaluation.)

But what the symbolic processor does not understand is indexing in a nested array: e[0-> results in 'No symbolic result was found'.

I defined a (simple, unnested) array f with two elements, and the symbolic processor is happy to show the result of f[0->.

I assume Mcad2001 does the same.

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes ha scritto:

The symbolic processor is not completely unhappy with a nested array: e-> will show the nested array as being a nested array

that's not what's happening in mcd 2001: even e-> results into "no symbolic result was found.".

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:pprestininzi)

Pietro,

sorry, my assumption is proven worthless by you. Apparently Mcad2000 is better than 2001...?

Luc

Apparently...yes. this is even stranger...

Which service pack are you running? The last service pack for 2001 was service pack 2.

Richard Jackson ha scritto:

Which service pack are you running? The last service pack for 2001 was service pack 2.

how do i check it?

Go to "help", "about". It should tell you there.

Top Tags