cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

symbolic calculation with nested arrays

pprestininzi
1-Newbie

symbolic calculation with nested arrays

Hi all,

i once used to write on Mathcad Collab forum.

here is my question:

with reference to the .mcd file attached, how can i use nested arrays for symbolic calculation?

thanks

45 REPLIES 45

it just says "Mathcad 2001 Professional"

is the service pack available to download? i could apply it on top of my installation, regardless to wether it's already installed or not.

No, they have not been available for download for many years. I have them, but they are language specific and the ones I have are for US English. Unless you are very lucky and someone reading this has the Italian ones, I have no idea where you could get them. That's the price of using 12 year old software.

my version is in English.

Is there any way you can send it to me? would the service pack be so smart to check if its compatible with the installed kernel? if so we can give it a safe try.

thanks

I have no idea if it would check. But I made some notes when I archived the service pack, This is in my notes:

Mathcad 2001 Feature Update 1 - Single User Installation

mc2k1.exe (670 KB)

Add custom controls, such as check boxes and sliders to your copy of Mathcad 2001. This update also adds support for saving and exporting scripted components for distribution, and is required for the use of new Mathcad 2001 add-ins for Excel, AutoCAD 2000, and Visio 2000 below. You should only apply this update if Mathcad 2001 is installed on your own computer. If you instead use a shared network version, please ask your system administrator to download and install the Network update below. This update is for English-language versions of Mathcad 2001 only. [Read these important notes before installing.]

Presumably, I copied that directly from the download site. That's the first service pack. I also have the second srevice pack, but no notes for it. I don't think you can install the second one without installing the first one though.

I have attached the files. Use them at your own risk, but probably the worst case would be you have to completely uninstall and reinstall Mathcad.

hi,

sorry for my temporary absence, i had a busy week.

so, i installed the first patch but it doesn't change anything.

then tried witht the second one and won't even install, says "It is not possible to open patch packet, try contacting the application dealer to verify if the windows installer patch packet is valid".

i was able to unzip the content: two files patch.exe and mc2k1sp2.msp: i could open the latter with winrar and see the content but when i try to extract any file it says "corrupted archive". if i launch any of the two, i get the same error message.

no luck

Is your version UK English or US English?

how can i check that?

The Mathcad versions back then (I'm not sure about now) had different installers for different countries. The reason for that was the keyboard shortcuts were specific to the keyboard layout. The patches I uploaded are for the US English keyboard. If you have any other keyboard layout the patch may not install because it knows it's not compatible with the version you have.

can't i just try and change the keyboard layout?

If you install a US version on a UK computer the keys will not match what is in the manual. I vaguely recall that this is in fact not possible, because the installer looks at your local settings, but if it is possible you could then get a US keyboard, or you could just learn the new keys. That's not what I was trying to say though. I do not know what happens if the version you have is for a UK keyboard, and you try to install a patch that is for a US keyboard. It is possible (but I do not actually know this) that the reason the install of the second patch failed is because your 2001 version is not for a US keyboard, and the patch is.

ok i understand: that would imply that the first patch was region-free and the second region-dependant, right?

still i don't understand how i can check which version i own.

still i don't understand how i can check which version i own.

If you don't have problems with the keyboard mapping (so "[" gives vector subscripts, "." gives literal subscripts, etc etc) then you presumably have the version that matches your keyboard, whatever that is.

it does what it should, so i guess i have the right version for my computer (europe?).

European keyboards are not alll the same. The layout of the keys is country dependent (in some cases, I know they are quite different).

You could try the wayback machine at http://archive.org to get some files from snapshots of mathsoft.com. I sometime have luck there searching for old mcd-files referenced somewhere with links to the old mathsoft site. But be aware that this is cumbersome, as not all snapshots are complete and the site is slow.

But I fear that service packs where availabe for registered users only and registration won't work in the snapshots.

But I fear that service packs where availabe for registered users only and registration won't work in the snapshots.

your guess is correct.

Top Tags