cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

too many initial conditions?

JPark61
8-Gravel

too many initial conditions?

it does not work..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:JPark61)

"but it is solved by Mathcad":

Then show the Mathcad file that does it....

When I read the article, the authors state that Mathcad was used to calculate a couple of parameters; and it  - could - be used to solve the set of ODE's.

Further, in both expressions of k.1 appears a value named C.Bs

This value is not explained in the document, it does not even appear in the list of symbols at the end.

Bottom line: The article is unclear (at least for a casual reader and not knowledgable on the subject) from a mathematical point of view.

What is clear, is that with a set of three differential equations it is not possible to solve 4 independent functions. (Note:  the crux is in 'independent' here!) There may be a relation between the 4 functions that the article is solving, but they are not clearly explaining it.

The very same argument holds for your set of 5 differential equations and trying to find 6 functions....

Luc

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

this is the problem

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Mathcad is right. You have too many initial conditions, as also you have too many functions to solve for.

The set of differential equation does not provide enough equations to solve for 6 functions, only 5.

So you can solve for 5 functions, e.g. by assuming that C.Ab(t):=0.1 (all the time) which is what I did in the attached sheet. I did not find a clue in the article regarding how C.Ab(t) was handled.

I hope you can find it.

Success!
Luc

thank you but what you sent file is not showing graph ...

hbu this one?

this is same style of problem.

Alos, it cannot solve?? but it is solved by mathcad

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

"but it is solved by Mathcad":

Then show the Mathcad file that does it....

When I read the article, the authors state that Mathcad was used to calculate a couple of parameters; and it  - could - be used to solve the set of ODE's.

Further, in both expressions of k.1 appears a value named C.Bs

This value is not explained in the document, it does not even appear in the list of symbols at the end.

Bottom line: The article is unclear (at least for a casual reader and not knowledgable on the subject) from a mathematical point of view.

What is clear, is that with a set of three differential equations it is not possible to solve 4 independent functions. (Note:  the crux is in 'independent' here!) There may be a relation between the 4 functions that the article is solving, but they are not clearly explaining it.

The very same argument holds for your set of 5 differential equations and trying to find 6 functions....

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Automatic calculation is switched OFF in the sheet.

To show the graphs: Press F9 .

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi,

If I knew, for example  the diff. eq, f' (t)=f(t), there would be no problems, see image:

odesys3.jpg

Top Tags