cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

typesetting equations

mikej1980
1-Newbie

typesetting equations

Is their a way to make MathCAD equations look like the way they do in textbooks? Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics and basically look totally different to MathCAD worksheets. Maple and Mathematica can do this so I'd like to know how to do it in MathCAD.

thanks
69 REPLIES 69

On 9/27/2009 9:19:23 AM, jmG wrote:
>Alvaro,
>
>Yes, this font is free, how ?

Not, isn't free. You can try to download a trial version of the software where it is from
http://www.directmath.com.

Leibniz font have not accented chars (like � � �) so ins't good to write, but for variables font in mathcad is ok.

Font is derived from AMS TeX font, so, there are some other similars and free in the web.

Alvaro

On 9/27/2009 12:50:10 PM, adiaz wrote:
>On 9/27/2009 9:19:23 AM, jmG wrote:
>>Alvaro,
>>
>>Yes, this font is free ... [jmG]
>
>Not, isn't free. [Alvaro].

YES, Mathematica fonts are free if you follow my guidance.
You seem to be going back to square -1
1. Fonts creation is a very difficult project
2. "slanted" & "italic" aren't the same.
3. some size 9type) aren't B�zier points.

4. The suggestion from some standards already mentioned aren't "like legal standard" which standard is still in many court room "Pica", which "Pica" is well accepted as TNR, which TNR is universally recognized the most comfortable to read except for l, ., -
5. It would be a gross mistake to use fonts that Mathcad don't directly or indirectly register from the install CD.
6. Font dreamers dream in terms of "papers", in non executable Mathcad style, i.e: useless pain & prestige.
7. There are "paper style fonts", why to invent more ?
8. The most honestly designed Mathcad fonts will not please all in consideration of national and firm standards, vg: German derivative.
9. For serious users,
Mathcad must be productive, uniform of excellent presentation.
10. Too many gyzmas screw the regions.
11. ... +++ ... version compatibility.

jmG

On 9/27/2009 4:49:27 PM, jmG wrote:

>YES, Mathematica fonts are free if you follow my guidance.

That's true, but Leibniz (the font that I use sometimes) isn't free, and isn't a Mathematica (TM) font. Is a font from "Leibniz front end for Mathematica" This is the old name, the author now call his program as DirectMath.

Very similar fonts (and free) are "TeX's Computer Modern Fonts" avaibles at

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/

a very old page from mozilla, but have actualizations from time to time.

>2. "slanted" & "italic" aren't the same.

In spanish there are not italics fonts: they are "bastardillas", which came from the word that seems to came. Also are "cursiva" or "manuscrita" (handwriting). Actually, I don't understand from where came the name 'italic', because the usual type from Italy, and what you can see in the old inscriptions at any Italian city, is similar to Roman type, without inclination.

>5. It would be a gross mistake to use fonts that Mathcad don't directly or indirectly register from the install CD.

What I say in this is that using a font which in 'normal' form is like 'italic' (actually, a similar-TeX font) is that this don't 'italize' greek letters. This alse make the setting only in the Variables fonts, without any trick or calling other mathcad user styles, which I preserve for matrices in bold arial, or things like this. So, this is a very clean mathcad method.

>6. Font dreamers dream in terms of "papers", in non executable Mathcad style, i.e: useless pain & prestige.

Changing the default font for variables have not interference with the normal mathcad behavoir. And the result is having a math style much more similar with the books. This clicking only in the font box for changing directly Variables font default, only one time, and without any other setting.

Regards. Alvaro.

OK, Alvaro ... let's make it short.

Read all what you can about fonts and the kind of hard work it would be to create one and in different sizes. "Italic" has nothing to do with "Italy", just a name given by some of the font creator for Microsoft. Any good amateur could create fonts on his own ( not using font creator software), for which there would be no possible pattern recognition ... no FBI, no nobody could "catalog" or "catalog unknown" ! Latex paper style today will not be the same in years as per the dreamers and individual mathematician notations. Standard fonts from Microsoft are there to stay, especially TNR after the long dispute between the New York Times & the London Times, from which dispute TNR resulted.
Engineers need to produce and present. Mathcad since the beginning has offered that, most universally and essentially in what is called "Latin style".

jmG

On 9/28/2009 12:25:21 AM, jmG wrote:
== "Italic" has nothing to do with "Italy", just a name given by some of the font creator for Microsoft

Google not working on your machines? 🙂

Called italic because it originated in Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italic_type

In particular, look at the reference: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24829/24829-h/24829-h.htm

Stuart

"Called italic because it originated in Italy".

Maybe inspired from the dark age "copyist". The ugly "Microsoft Italic" has surely nothing to do with the "Italian elegance" in general.

jmG

On 9/28/2009 2:10:21 AM, jmG wrote:
>"Called italic because it
>originated in Italy".
>_____________________
>
>Maybe inspired from the dark
>age "copyist". The ugly
>"Microsoft Italic" has surely
>nothing to do with the
>"Italian elegance" in general.
>
>jmG

I was damned right before reading Wiki that you misinterpreted:
"This style is called "italic" for historic reasons."
Just for historic reason, all muffed by unskilled.

jmG

On 9/28/2009 2:15:31 AM, jmG wrote:
>I was damned right before reading Wiki
>that you misinterpreted:
>"This style is called "italic" for
>historic reasons."
>Just for historic reason, all muffed by
>unskilled.

Quite right, old boy. The "historic reason" being that the font type originated in Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_typography#Italic_type

"The "Aldino" style quickly became known as "italic" from its Italian origin."

Stuart

"Any good amateur could create fonts on his own..."

Grabbing my chest while trying to breath! Font creation is mixture of artistry and technology. There are many kinds of fonts, TTF, Type 1, Type 3 and most recently OpenType. It is not owned by Microsoft. I'm aghast.

Top Tags