Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

typesetting equations

Highlighted

typesetting equations

Is their a way to make MathCAD equations look like the way they do in textbooks? Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics and basically look totally different to MathCAD worksheets. Maple and Mathematica can do this so I'd like to know how to do it in MathCAD.

thanks
69 REPLIES 69
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/7/2009 4:06:40 PM, mikej1980 wrote:
== Is their a way to make MathCAD equations look like the way they do in textbooks? Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics and basically look totally different to MathCAD worksheets. Maple and Mathematica can do this so I'd like to know how to do it in MathCAD.

Yes. Use math styles. See attached for example. Read the help.

Stuart

From a previous thread ...
For those who like to keep their fingers on the keyboard, one almost acceptable method is to redefine all of the User styles to start with a unique letter (such as A User, B User, etc), then, with the desired name selected, press Alt-o,E,B, to select the renamed Math Style 'User 2'. It can be quite quick after a bit of practice.

http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?74008,85
Highlighted

typesetting equations

Why don't people seem to use that then? (just curious). You'd think even if users didn't feel the need that at least PTC would ship examples in an optimal presentation (ie. textbook like equation and formula typesetting).

Mike
Highlighted

typesetting equations

Math styles are not used much for various reasons. Most people don't even notice the ability to define the attributes, and the documentation (a bit of a joke past MC11) doesn't cover it. Using multiple styles is even less common, as Mathsoft never saw fit to provide keyboard shortcuts for applying styles. That makes applying styles much to cumbersome and slow for common use. Stuart's technique helps a bit, but is still much to cumbersome.

Italics have been a source of problems too. Until recently, the bounding boxes were not properly adjusted for italics, with the result that using italics resulted in the truncation of some letters. Looked awful.

typesetting equations

On 8/7/2009 5:24:36 PM, mikej1980 wrote:
>Why don't people seem to use
>that then? (just curious).
>You'd think even if users
>didn't feel the need that at
>least PTC would ship examples
>in an optimal presentation
>(ie. textbook like equation
>and formula typesetting).
>
>Mike

Could be that Mathsoft/PTC have never seen a math book in italics. Please, download more of those master work sheets dropping regularly in the collab. Even this public forum is TNR.

jmG

Highlighted

typesetting equations

>Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics <<br> __________________________

In my entire life and books, I have NEVER seen maths in italics ! "italics" in general are not readable on screen, no more decently printable on paper and not of the closest legal format. In lieu of the former "pica" legal typesetting, the TNR is largely accepted in Latin letters countries. I have never seen either a single drawing in italics. Guess how many millions [1000000's] of drawings and Engineering documents I have flipped over !

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

==>Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics

What I meant of course is that *variables* in Formulas and equations are normally typeset in italics. ...not to mention user defined functions f(x) g(x) and so on.

Have you ever seen variables in italics in the millions of documents you've seen?
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/7/2009 6:01:01 PM, mikej1980 wrote:
>==>Formulas and equations are
>normally typeset in italics
>
>What I meant of course is that
>*variables* in Formulas and
>equations are normally typeset
>in italics. ...not to mention
>user defined functions f(x)
>g(x) and so on.
>
>Have you ever seen variables
>in italics in the millions of
>documents you've seen?

No ! never seen italics.

in f(x), g(x) and so on, f, g are the algo name(s) that you can style at will.
"x" is the scalar argument that you style at will .
Maths are plain and sober, same should the work sheet(s) be.
Gyzmas and decorations don't belong to maths.
How many styles have you seen in Mathematica NoteBooks ? one style.

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

... also, for the naturally ugly parentheses,
there is the very nice looking slim style in Mathcad.

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/7/2009 5:53:05 PM, jmG wrote:
== In my entire life and books, I have NEVER seen maths in italics ! "italics" in general are not readable on screen, no more decently printable on paper and not of the closest legal format. In lieu of the former "pica" legal typesetting, the TNR is largely accepted in Latin letters countries. I have never seen either a single drawing in italics. Guess how many millions [1000000's] of drawings and Engineering documents I have flipped over !

I have just looked through 20 of the books on my bookshelf, covering General Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Computational Physics and Maths. *ALL* of them use italics in their maths representation - including my copy of Abramowitz & Stegun.

The IS0 31/80000 series mandate italics for quantity names.

Also see See http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/pdf/sp811.pdf, page 34. (previously mentioned in thread http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?112580,12 )

Stuart
Announcements