TTFN,
Eden
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/10/2009 1:55:37 PM, eden_mei wrote:
>Ok, with some degree of difficulty:

>Mathcad:

>SP811:

There's at least one SP811 expression in there that can't be done as a single name, Eden. λB - Mathcad makes the entire name italic and won't allow the user to seperately format the (literal) subscript. One can cheat and use an indicial subscript, but that makes it difficult to search & replace, and (more importantly) means that one has to give B some dummy value to avoid getting undefined variable errors.

Stuart

Highlighted

typesetting equations

No argument there. Also, I couldn't get the hotbuttoned function names to be non-italic.

TTFN,
Eden
Highlighted

typesetting equations

A MathCad worksheet with variables in italics, constants in something else, and comments in a third font is too hard to read. Most high speed readers glance at a page quickly and don�t peek and poke along while mumbling to themselves.

Reading printed books and journals is another matter, much slower and more concentration is needed, not the same as reading a worksheet with involved commands and comments that runs smoothly from top to bottom.

I have personally owned some of those well known texts listed by a Forum member. I found plenty of errors in one (AMS-55) and upon taking one of them up with the editor, Ms. Irene Stegun over Legendre Functions, she left town.
Highlighted

typesetting equations

>Is their a way to make MathCAD equations look like the way they do in textbooks ? <<br> _______________________

At message 35, go back with yourself and do the exercise at left. I can't tell about the smoothing, i.e: is it native from Latex or from the PDF, and if native from Latex, then install in the windows FONT subfolder and run in Mathcad. What I have said, maybe not clearly is that the Windows Italic fonts are not smoothed, thus about unreadable because the human eye Fourier transform is delayed by the cones remanance. That's what in other words Theodore is explaining too.

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

One specific Russian typesetting equations problem:

Val

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/v_ochkov.htm
Highlighted

typesetting equations

You have the same problem as so many collabs before and this last visitor generating 36 threads: Mathcad is not a book publisher. Your problem for magazines and book seems only possible via Latex because Mathcad does recognize only executable styles, as well as Mathematica even more limited than Mathcad. And the question goes back to my last reply: is the Latex looks like italic, is it executable in Mathcad ? and the subscript is not separable from the main name. The book styles and their national variantes are not available in any math packages. For the originator in this thread it would be unwise and useless putting so much effort in a latex dead style expecting a 1/1 executable in Mathcad or else, because none of the Mathcad or else will produce the same document and still expecting the user interprets the latex style correctly. All what that means is that the "book styles" and the "executable styles" are incompatible conjectures. That differentiates the "ISO Technocrates" from Engineers. I would compare the "ISO Technocrate" to a college level kid who had found a square of same area of a circle, thinking he had solved "La Quadrature du Cercle". Another example of the "ISO Technocrate" is a person thinking that pi comes from accurately measuring the the length of the rope around a perfect cylinder. Further, the "Naive ISO Technocrates" is such a slow organisation. What comes good out of ISO is what they unified as good from elsewhere.

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/11/2009 9:21:23 AM, jmG wrote:
>You have the same problem as
>so many collabs before and
>this last visitor generating
>36 threads: Mathcad is not a
>book publisher. Your problem
>for magazines and book seems
>only possible via Latex
>because Mathcad does recognize
>only executable styles, as
>well as Mathematica even more
>limited than Mathcad. And the
>question goes back to my last
>reply: is the Latex looks like
>italic, is it executable in
>Mathcad ? and the subscript is
>not separable from the main
>name. The book styles and
>their national variantes are
>not available in any math
>packages. For the originator
>in this thread it would be
>unwise and useless putting so
>much effort in a latex dead
>style expecting a 1/1
>executable in Mathcad or else,
>because none of the Mathcad or
>else will produce the same
>document and still expecting
>the user interprets the latex
>style correctly. All what that
>means is that the "book
>styles" and the "executable
>styles" are incompatible
>conjectures. That
>differentiates the "ISO
>Technocrates" from Engineers.
>I would compare the "ISO
>Technocrate" to a college
>level kid who had found a
>square of same area of a
>circle, thinking he had solved
>"La Quadrature du Cercle".
>Another example of the "ISO
>Technocrate" is a person
>thinking that pi comes from
>accurately measuring the the
>length of the rope around a
>perfect cylinder. Further, the
>"Naive ISO Technocrates" is
>such a slow organisation. What
>comes good out of ISO is what
>they unified as good from
>elsewhere.
>
>jmG

To jmG: it was a relatively simple question that I asked. I am not a LaTeX user and don't intend to become one. *However* LaTeX does typeset mathematical equations correctly ...where I am defining correctly as how the AMS wants them typeset and how the NIST wants them typeset. Equation editor in word, Maple and Mathematica also do the same (contrary to your misinformation or uninformed hand waving about the limitations of other software).

Mathcad may not be a publisher but neither are Mathematica or Maple and I doubt that anyone would call Word a publisher either. But when people want to prepare documents to be read by others you'd expect default formatting to comply with what appears in thousands of textbooks and hundred of thousands of journal articles.

You said you'd never seen variables italicized. I can't call that as wrong because I don't know what you have seen and not seen, but italicized variables are what appears in textbooks and journals. Occasionally forums have members who call black white and white black regardless. As to there being 36 threads it would seem to be due to some irrelevant ramblings.
Highlighted

typesetting equations

Huzzah!

However, you'll soon learn that in addition to calling white black, some people are not so easily swayed...

TTFN,
Eden
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/11/2009 11:07:30 AM, mikej1980 wrote:
>On 8/11/2009 9:21:23 AM, jmG wrote:
>You said you'd never seen variables italicized.

All my books are like yours and others, "publisher characters" looking like italicized, but aren't italics that you can reproduce from Windows delivered fonts. You let understand that you have Latex, do the exercise on the left picture, that might tell you more and final put up a Mathcad work sheet in your Latex and check if it takes. Do better, make a Mathematica Latex and check if it takes. If they don't, no point trying to publish using either Mathcad or Mathematica, because they execute only their own fonts and most of the Windows native fonts and few more registered fonts and few more partial fonts from others.
In other words to end this thread: put your Latex in the Widows FONT subfolder, check in the Mathcad sheet if it takes (you may have to run "RegTool"), make a simple test as this one.

Read all the replies and decide which publisher to use.
You confuse "publisher characters in general" and executable characters. Open any Mathematica NoteBook from their download, and make them Latex or else publisher, make an image of it with the same result and attach. Math Packages and publisher aren't the same thing. I have helped you so much, you can just figure that I know what I'm talking about.

jmG
Announcements