Did you mean: 

typesetting equations

Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/7/2009 4:06:40 PM, mikej1980 wrote:
>Is their a way to make MathCAD
>equations look like the way
>they do in textbooks? .....>

Dozens of visitors have asked same and more, for their publisher project. Same replies in different forms ... and no work sheet to see. In PC's there is no drawer where to plug a book and no button to push for either Mathcad, Mathematica... to read the book and crunch numbers. That's the real answer, today !

jmG

Highlighted

typesetting equations

> Open
>any Mathematica NoteBook from their
>download, and make them Latex or else
>publisher, make an image of it with the
>same result and attach.

I'm not sure what part of I don't use LaTeX, never have used LaTeX, and don't plan on using LaTeX you don't understand. I presume you are being deliberately obtuse.

Attached are the images you requested, plus images for Maple and Open Office (I don't have Word on this computer). These are all default typesetting of equations. Axes labels had to be entered because the default rendering didn't have a label.

Highlighted

typesetting equations

Highlighted

typesetting equations

>Axes labels had to be entered because the default rendering didn't have a label. >

What ! Mathcad automatically shows or hides labels.
f(x) ... Mathematica equation , NO f[x]
= is a constrain in Mathcad
:= is a definition in Mathcad , not quite the same. That shows again the publisher style is to be converted to executable.

Several collabs have posted examples of the function name normal and the argument italic in Mathcad. Again, do some shopping for your best publisher, Mathcad is an active math package. Can't help not knowing what you are after. If you are in your first days of Mathcad, visit their examples. Open the *.PDF "User manual".

Are you in maths or publishing, that is the question.

jmG
Highlighted

typesetting equations

In maths, the old DOS platform QuickBasic never had italics. The celebrat5ed 1938 German text "Tables of Functions" by Janke-Emde had sections devoid of italics.

In publishing, this is all another matter. I think MathCad is programmed without italics, and posting it is not publishing it.

Then there is uncorrected anstigmanism of the eye, that can surely make reading italics difficult and unpopular. Slanted type lines can read worse. Hence a blanket denial of italics is just either "do in Rome as the Romans do" with MathCad or an apology for bad reading glasses.
Highlighted

typesetting equations

On 8/11/2009 1:12:26 PM, jmG wrote:
>>Axes labels had to be entered because the default rendering didn't have a label. >
>__________________________
>
>What ! Mathcad automatically
>shows or hides labels.
>f(x) ... Mathematica equation
>, NO f[x]
>= is a constrain in Mathcad
>:= is a definition in Mathcad
>, not quite the same. That
>shows again the publisher
>style is to be converted to
>executable.
>
>Several collabs have posted
>examples of the function name
>normal and the argument italic
>in Mathcad. Again, do some
>shopping for your best
>publisher, Mathcad is an
>active math package. Can't
>help not knowing what you are
>after. If you are in your
>first days of Mathcad, visit
>their examples. Open the *.PDF
>"User manual".
>
>Are you in maths or
>publishing, that is the
>question.
>
>jmG

I've been talking all along about typesetting for documents--producing documents from worksheets etc. You keep wanting to talk about LaTeX and now programming.

FWIW here's the screen grab of an actual program in Mathematica. It contains := but like I said I have been talking about writing equations. In Maple I only use the Math mode so it is the same as I previously attached.
Highlighted

typesetting equations

I have astigmatism (no kidding) and while I wear glasses when using the computer I have never had any trouble reading italics without glasses. The fact that I should have (trouble) is news to me.

Presumably "Rome" is defined as Mathcad, because if it were defined as the rest of the world then doing what the Romans do would mean conforming to AMS and NIST standards like other softwares do.
Highlighted

typesetting equations

putting EVERYTHING in italics in Mathcad is quite straightforward, but is that what you need/want?

TTFN,
Eden
Highlighted

typesetting equations

>>As someone new to mathcad I thought I might find some sensible discussion here.<<

You generally can. But every now and then somebody gets into their head the quaint notion of arguing with jmG. Sanity is best served by ignoring such arguments.

As to what Jean has or hasn't seen -- he posted a sheet here that included some scanned images from some reference text. These images show math constructs set in italics. Draw your own conclusions as to whether he saw that which he included in his sheet.

typesetting equations

"...conforming to AMS and NIST standards like other softwares do".

I keep repeating no software do, especially Mathematica. When you read Eric web page you read CRC publisher style. But the software does not go by publisher style, rather by the executable typesetting as delivered by Windows. Attached Bernoulli from the download NoteBook, all normal or all italic, can't even separate numbers style from the letters style ... worst than Mathcad.

Post a work sheet, many collabs will do their best. Books are dead stuff like dead stones, software need be coded so the dead stones grow wings.

jmG

Announcements