cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

variable with sub or superscript equals to, how to do?

jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member

variable with sub or superscript equals to, how to do?

Hi all. How can I input a variable U*= In Mathcad Prime 3.1. The * should either be a subscript or superscript of U. sometimes could be a bar over it or any other symbol like a prime. I see that in Mathcad Prime 3.1 I am limited to just letters as subscripts or superscripts only but not symbols.  I also want to do U' (primes) too equal to something but Mathcad Prime 3.1 wont let me. Is there a newer Mathcad prime version that can do it or how is this done in Mathcad Prime 3.1? Thank you for your attention.

6 REPLIES 6

Try using quotation marks " ", type in your characters, then delete the quotation marks. Your charcters you type become a variable.

I hope this helps.

Norm

JeffH1
14-Alexandrite
(To:jrodriguez-9)
jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member
(To:jrodriguez-9)

Thank you, all solutions worked out but to a certain extent. Using the character map solution only allows the super script and subscript of a few numbers 2 3 4 and is very limited. Still being able to put a star * as a subscript is not possible since is not listed in the charactermap.

How about if I also want to put a Bar over or Dot over? is there anyway to add these characters to variables in Mathcad prime 3?  the quotations mark solution worked but not for special symbols or over the variable symbols (like bar dot or any other hat ^). thank you.

Prime is lacking a lot of things - not being able to use usual math notation to full extent is one of them (and IMHO not near the top of list of most missing features).

There are some (very few) diacritic characters in the fonts and so I could create a character with a tilde over it as variable name for example, but no dot and no bar (BTW, a bar over a variable in Mathcad denotes the conjugate complex of that variable!)

Depending on the country you live / the keyboard language you use you may be able to create some other character with diacritcs. On my german Keyboard for example I can create characters with a hat by typing the accent circonflex first (dead key) and then the character. It will work for vocals only, though.

All the workarounds have its merits but sure are unneccessarily painful - Prime should be able to do that in a convenient way out of the box - after all it sells as a math scribbling pad.

All I could think of you could do is to use a font editor and create a custom font with all the needed characters.

Quite some work done once but then you could produce nicer reports all the time. Drawback is that you are the only one who can see the files as they should look unless you distribute your custom font and tell people how to install it on their systems.

nas0k
7-Bedrock
(To:Werner_E)

In one context "h bar" is an avereage heat transfer coefficent over a surface.  

Top Tags