Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vector image insertion and manipulation

vector image insertion and manipulation

Greetings -- (I did some searching, but didn't find this exact discussion -- apologies in advance if it exists)

Before mathcad, I used excel almost exclusively. I would create calculations, and a simple diagrams explaining what my parameters were. I didn't need a parametrized sketch (a la smartsketch, or other linked object). My sketches were crude, but fast, tweakable, and self-contained with my calculations.

Along these lines -- I would *love* to be able to create and manipulate simple, dumb, vector sketches within Mathcad. Barring creation, it would be great at least to be able to tweak vector images I've pasted-special from (say) excel -- drag, resize, edit text, etc for individual entities within a vector image (even if created elsewhere). Is there a way to accomplish this, via a plugin, or otherwise? (I'm running Mathcad 2001i professional -- perhaps this functionality exists in later versions?)

Thanks in advance,

--Will

25 REPLIES 25

Re: vector image insertion and manipulation

Sorry!

Sketching capability has been missing (and requested) in MathCad for a long time. It does not exist up through version 14. (I doubt it's in 15, but I don't know.) Closest I've seen is the ability to embed SmartSketch into MatbhCad and link to the sketch; very cumbersome, very buggy, not what you're looking for.

Well, drat.

I've often had to revert to other tools (whether excel, or my good old fashioned design notebook) over Mathcad because of my I knew I needed to sketch, and wanted to keep all my calcs and information in one place. Sketching was the missing piece. I was hoping it was just my lack of saavy...

What's more, when I've returned to some Mathcad tool I've made, precious time can be lost trying to remember what my parameters are.

Mathcad would likely become my go-to tool for calcs, etc. if I could *really* treat it like a notebook...

Thanks for the information Fred.

--Will

I have resorted to sketching (in the tool of your choice) and pasting a picture into MathCad.

MathCad is too valuable and usefull to stop using because it can't draw!

Will,

As Fred suggests, there are no sketching capability within the recent versions of Mathcad. In the past I have used Powerpoint, Excel......etc to produce my sketches and then insert into Mathcad - This process can become a little tedious if you are constantly updating calc's and need to constantly change the sketch.

For simple sketches I have used an embedded Excel component. Variables can be passed and displayed in Excel and also updated within the calc itself. Good if you want to dimension a generic sketch where the dimensions are more important than the scale of the sketch itself.

Mike

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Fred,

Mathcad is too valuable and useful to stop using because it can't draw, but PTC should have implemented a drawing tool in M15, if not M15, then defiantly Mathcad Prime 1.0.

Mike

I agree. The lack of sketching capability is annoying, but a Mathcad worksheet with a graphic that was created wih another tool pasted into it is still far closer to a notebook than anything else out there. Especially, when compared to Excel it is not even close!

There is longggggg web survey about image to vector converters. The solution is a pro version $. Often the zoom function from Improc does a good reduction. What does e-Drawing ? What's the relationship PTC/e-Drawing ? ... The PTC banner is one of them in e-Drawing. You don't have much zooming from *.PDF but not bad either for reducing. If you would have few "sketches modules" and/or enough patience, you can use De Casteljau nurbs to draw your items . At this point, they are scalable and resident as a Mathcad item ... how to fill those Mathcad objects ? Don't know.

jmG

Thanks for this, Mike --

Learning always -- (just did some experimenting upon reading your comment) Embedded objects may be more useful than I first thought.

Question1: Does creating a new embedded excel object create any external references? (ie, does this generate any other files / entities that need to be managed? It looks like the answer is 'no' -- which is good! Such self-containment is crucial for me (so I can create a mathcad worksheet and know that everything is right there, no separate files to keep track of).

If this self-containment is consistent for other embedded object-types, it opens possibilities. Which leads to question #2:

Question2: I note that when I "insert > object," there is a list of applications that comes up. Do you know how to add to that list new applications / object-types? My thought: If I can find a small vector-graphics software, I could install that software, and enable embedding objects from that software (if excel is unavailable).

--Will

Thanks jmg --

I'm unfamiliar with (but just did some surfing on) De Casteljau nurbs. Is there an ability within matchad to draw / manipulate such curves? Expand a little -- I'm interested in what you allude to.

--Will

Announcements