cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

vlookup from a table

ptc-4260912
1-Newbie

vlookup from a table

Hello,

when i look up a value from a table the answer always has parentheses.is there something in Mathcad other than vlookup where i can lookup values but w/p parentheses. please see attached mathcadsheet. The user pick a beam size, then i would like to be able to read its root beams from column 1 and 2. Also i would like to be able to look up other values as well w/o parentheses. Thank you all!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello!

Please see the attachment.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Hello!

Please see the attachment.

Thank you so much Vladimir!

did you add the 0 by "[ "? could you explain to what does the step you did do?

vllookup is returning a matrix, even though it is only one element, that's what the () indicated, so by using [0, you are selecting the first element in the matrix, which is a number.

SAM FARES wrote:

Thank you so much Vladimir!...

You're welcome.

SAM FARES wrote:

...did you add the 0 by "[ "?...

Yes .

SAM FARES wrote:

... could you explain to what does the step you did do?

Please see the correct explanation from Wayne at the top.

Thank you so much Vladimir!

did you add the 0 by "[ "? could you explain to what does the step you did do?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

There is an issue with Vladimir's way. What happens when there are two matches?????

Using the [0, the function will only return the first match.

Mike

Mike,

Something wrong with this worksheet. At me Mathcad 15 M010 was closed with an error. Could you check it?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Please try the attached. I was only indicating that the [0 trick will not work when more than 1 match is found.

Mike

The same result:

Pic_1.jpg

Try to download this file ("Mathcad lookup_MC15_Mike.xmcd.zip") and then open it.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have just downloaded and opened with no issues.

Mike

This is strange . However, yesterday I corrected the initial worksheet from another computer.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

This is strange . However, yesterday I corrected the initial worksheet from another computer.

That is strange. See image from worksheet below.

Clipboard01.jpg

As I said, not much in it only indicating the problem if more than one match is found.

Mike

Top Tags