cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

x-y plot rectangular coordinates

aparasuraman
1-Newbie

x-y plot rectangular coordinates

Hi

Newbie to Mathcad Prime, How do I plot a straight line from the origin using complex numbers.

Eg 10+5i complex number.

Straight line between (0,0) and (10,5) using x-y plot.

Any assistance much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Write the column vector consisting of the x-coordinates of the two points in the placeholder for the abscissa and the column vector consisting of the y-coordinates in the placeholder for the ordinate.

Here is what it looks like in Mathcad15, but it should work similarly in Prime, too.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:aparasuraman)

And it does, in Prime:

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Or in another incarnation:

OK, so here is yet another one 😉

Thanks, Werner, for the picture.

See please Arrow on plots

arrow.png

How do I plot a straight line?

Any assistance much appreciated.

A general way to plot lines (curves) and points

2a-parabola.png

Thanks for the feedback. Is it possible to fix the axis to a certain length?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:aparasuraman)

Yes, that happens automatically.

Below is an empty plot (nothing filled in yet). You can set the size of the plot container by pulling the small square at the lower right side of it, pointed to by the red arrow in the drawing below. That sets the length of both the x- and y-axes:

When you actually put expressions to plot, this is what you get:

The plot container grows, but the length of x- and y-axes remain the same.

But notice that the scales are different now. If you want those to be fixed, that's anothe matter.

Prime does not seem to have a way set those (like Mathcad 15 or before do have). What you can do is add another trace with the (minimum) axis limits you want, and make the trace invisible by setting its colour. below I've changed the scales back to + and -10 for both axes The trace colour is set to white, and the line type is dashed to minimally interfere with the blue trace:

Success!
Luc

You can manually edit the first, second and last value on each axis.

Simply click and if you are lucky you hit the right spot despite the tiny font used and are able to change the value.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks!

Just found out that you can also control the position of one axis with respect to the other.

When you move the cursor to the crosspoint of the axes, the crosspoint values light up. You can grab one and move the corresponding axis to any tick mark of the other axis.

That';s neat.

Luc

When you move the cursor to the crosspoint of the axes, the crosspoint values light up. You can grab one and move the corresponding axis to any tick mark of the other axis.

You don't even have to move the cursor to the crosspoint. You can grab any axis anywhere (the cursor turns in a double arrow) and move it around.

If you got lost you can reset it here:

Top Tags