cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

ztrans - can't evaluate to boolean

aeolidida
1-Newbie

ztrans - can't evaluate to boolean

Hello,

I have no idea why this isn't working. It says "can't evaluate to boolean". Could you help me please? I'm really stuck.

aeolidida_0-1590604086881.png

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:aeolidida)

You mean like this?

Maybe you forgot to define m?

LucMeekes_1-1590612624432.png

Note that m MUST be defined, if not:

LucMeekes_0-1590612507104.png

Which (version of) (which type of) Mathcad are you using?

Success!
Luc

In cases like this it often helps to tell Mathcad a little bit more about the variables used (like n being an integer or m being greater than 1, etc.). Unfortunately this does not really help much in your case:

Werner_E_1-1590617302664.png

It simply means that the symbolic core is not powerful enough to accomplish the task you are giving it.

As Luc has shown you can get a result for specific values of m - this is also true in Mathcad 15 (which I guess is the version you are using):

Werner_E_0-1590618018233.png

Luc uses Mathcad 11 which has Maple as symbolic core which normally outperforms the symbolic (muPad) in newer versions of Mathcad. Maybe he can give it a try using the appropriate assumptions.

Mathcad's symbolic core is not very powerful compared to software like Maple or Mathematica.
With version Prime 6, PTC has introduced a new symbolic core (probably for licensing reasons), which in many respects is still significantly less powerful than the old one, but can score particularly well in the case of your example:

Werner_E_0-1590617095194.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

Mathcad 11:

LucMeekes_0-1590648506970.png

I think it is remarkable that n appears in the result.

Thanks Werner!

Luc

I already suspected that Maple in Mathcad would come to a result.

The n in the transform puzzles me, too. To the best of my knowledge it shouldn't be there ??

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

Our good friend WolframAlpha knows "n^9*Product (n-i) i=0..m-1", and correctly interprets it. Note that the Pochhammer symbol is used in the result.

It also knows "Z-transform n^9". The result is an expression without n.

And understands "Z-transform (Product (n-i) i=0..m-1)". Here too, the result is an expression without n.

But when I combine the two under the Z-transform, it suddenly doesn't understand what I mean.

Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:aeolidida)

Hi,

When Mathcad gives "sibylline" answers then it is better to get busy in this sense:

answer to aeolidida.jpg

Top Tags