cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error adding item [after 2-hr trial ends]

aldob1
2-Guest

Error adding item [after 2-hr trial ends]

This is more of a curiosity than a problem. The only way I can start to get live readings from the Raspberry Pi [Sense Hat] is after a clean install of KEPServerEX.

When the two-hour trial ends, obviously the service stops running, data stops flowing, etc. However, when starting it up again for another two hours, I get an error from [Source:] ThingWorx Native Interface saying [Event:] Error adding item. | Item name: 'Channel1--Device1--Gyroscope_Yaw'. along with all the other items: Humidity, Temperature, etc. Also, the area that normally shows live readings in the OPC Quick Client, under Channel1.Device1 is just empty.

I am relatively new to KEPServerEX, so I tried all the following to "reset" my 2-hr trial:

- Runtime --> Reinitialize

- Closing the App via Task Manager

- Restarting the computer

- Restarting the RaspberryPi

- Disconnecting/Reconnecting the RaspberryPi from power and internet

- and Uninstalling/Reinstalling KEPServerEX

The only one that works is Uninstalling/Reinstalling KEPServerEX. Which is not that big of a deal; once it starts up all that needs to be done is fill in Device1's IP Address and the ThingWorx info under the project's Property Editor. I hope to not run into an issue like this when I get access to the paid version of KEPServerEX, but I was just curious as to why this happens? Is there an alternative to Uninstalling/Reinstalling KEPServerEX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mthakker
6-Contributor

Hey Aldo,

First - make sure you have the most up to date version of KEPServerEx, downloadable from the mykepware.com webpage.

In this scenario, reinitialize shouldn't work (not with the way KEPServer is licensed), but I'm surprised that restarting the computer doesnt work.  The way to fix the problem is by navigating to the KEPServer Icon on the bottom right hand corner, right clicking and selecting "Stop RunTime Service" and then right clicking and selecting "Start Runtime Service".  It requires a full start and stop of runtime to reinitialize.

Thanks,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mthakker
6-Contributor

Hey Aldo,

First - make sure you have the most up to date version of KEPServerEx, downloadable from the mykepware.com webpage.

In this scenario, reinitialize shouldn't work (not with the way KEPServer is licensed), but I'm surprised that restarting the computer doesnt work.  The way to fix the problem is by navigating to the KEPServer Icon on the bottom right hand corner, right clicking and selecting "Stop RunTime Service" and then right clicking and selecting "Start Runtime Service".  It requires a full start and stop of runtime to reinitialize.

Thanks,

Milan

aldob1
2-Guest

Milan,

Restarting the computer worked! I am not sure what I may have done or not done last time, but I clearly didn't JUST restart my computer, because that definitely works.

I'll have to wait another two hours before trying out your Stop and Start RunTime Service suggestion.

Thank you,

Aldo

aldob1
2-Guest

I tried out the "Stop RunTime Service" and then "Start Runtime Service" and that worked as well!

I was really hoping I could successfully start it up again without uninstalling anything or restarting the computer. I didn't realize that "Reinitializing" was an entirely different operation.

Thank you,

Aldo