Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datum Symbol dashed extension lines in ASME environment

Datum Symbol dashed extension lines in ASME environment

Hello,

ASME Y14.5 2018 and 2009 are saying in paragraph 6.3.2.1 and 3.3.2 respectively that a dashed line must be used if the datum feature is hidden. By watching Fig 6-3 on the 2018 version I understand that "hidden" means behind the projected view.

My question is: Why is CREO 4.0 changing the extension line of a Datum Symbol from a solid one to a dashed one when I drag the Datum Symbol away from the contour line in a projected view where that contour is visible in solid line on the projected view? That is not happening if the Datum symbol is attached to a dimension and that wasn't happening before CREO 4.0, furthermore it is actually not what ASME is showing in multiple examples across the pictures of Y14.5 Standard (Fig 7-52 Datum A, Fig 9-2 Datum A, Fig 9-11 Datum A, Fig 10-2 Datum A, etc.)

This is creating confusion between the R&D and Metrology department in my organization. I appreciate your support to clarify this topic.

Dashed extension lines.JPG

Announcements
If you would like to join any PTC Working Groups, please review the How to Join a Working Group post.

Be sure to always check to see the latest list of Working Groups and help innovate with PTC and your fellow community members!

If you do not see your topic, please Suggest A Working Group