cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Autocad Workgroup manager

ethomas-4
3-Visitor

Autocad Workgroup manager

Has anyone used the AutoCAD workgroup manager to interface between Windchill and AutoCAD? We do not currently have the AutoCAD workgroup manager here, but exploring the option to see if we need it.

Currently I can export a .dwg from CREO Parametric/Windchill  and open in AutoCAD; however, I can only bring the .dwg in as a doc object instead of a drawing (.drw). Not sure if the issue lies in not having a AutoCAD workgroup manager or something I am doing wrong.

Thanks!  

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:ethomas-4)

We don't have the workgroup manager for AutoCAD but based on how Windchill handles files from other workgroup managers I'm fairly confident this isn't going to help.  Files that are created in one workgroup manager and not normally accessible in other workgroup managers. (As far as I know the only exception is when using Creo's "Unite Technology" where certain 3rd party CAD files are converted to Creo files and then saved behind the scenes as hidden Creo files.)  Saving a .dwg from Creo to the workspace is actually storing it as a Creo file (regardless of the file extension.)  I highly doubt that this file created by Creo will be accessible from the AutoCAD workgroup manager.

It will be interesting to see if someone who actually has the AutoCAD WGM says otherwise...

Jason27
12-Amethyst
(To:ethomas-4)

1) Export a .dwg from CREO Parametric/Windchill

2) Open this .dwg in AutoCAD

3) Check in this .dwg to Windchill through AutoCAD workgroup manager

this .dwg file will be stored in Windchill as a EPMDocument instead of a WTDocument object.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Jason27)

Once you check this .dwg in with the AutoCAD workgroup manager, can you still open (import) it with Creo from the workspace?

Jason27
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

I think this .dwg could be opened with Creo viewer. but this is not suggested.

This .dwg checked in to Windchill with the AutoCAD workgroup manager. the better way is to open it with AutoCAD from the workspace.

work in order is a kind of time saving.

Top Tags