cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

"Navigation menu has moved" is very annoying

Rocko
17-Peridot

"Navigation menu has moved" is very annoying

Hi, for me the popup window notification that the menu has changed on support.ptc.com is coming up on each new screen/page that I open, especially in private mode (firefox).

As this is a modal dialog it required to click it to go away. This is very distracting. Please fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Rocko,

Thanks for making us aware of how this would impact users working in private mode. Any browser which has local storage disabled will exhibit the same. We've just pulled the "Navigation has moved" pop-up and replaced with a carousel item on the home page which has a link to the new nav info and feedback page.

Users can dismiss this to free up space, once read.

Peter.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Rocko)

I'm also using Firefox but not in private mode.  It seems to take two 'Close' events to make it 'stick'.

TomU_0-1605277119065.png

Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:TomU)

I'm working on a shared customer machine, so I have to rely on private mode.

The dialog should be closable by clicking jsut somewhere, not just "close", this would make it much less intrusive.

It seems not to be tied to the account, so when I logon from a new machine, I get it again, even without private mode.

This is as bad as the "Welcome to our new search" dialog I get every single time when searching support db.

One would expect people have slowly become familiar with the "new" search, after clicking the dialog away for two years.

@Jenny, could you please review and prioritise this feedback from @Rocko ? Storing the "Welcome to Search" dismiss action per-user and on the PTC side, instead of the browser, would resolve this.

Many thanks,

Peter.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Rocko)

I just tried Brave.  The 'Close' Seems to be sticking okay there, even with cookies not accepted.

TomU_1-1605278336463.png

This seems kind of creepy though:

TomU_0-1605278323423.png

TomU_2-1605278434503.png

Hi @Rocko,

Thanks for making us aware of how this would impact users working in private mode. Any browser which has local storage disabled will exhibit the same. We've just pulled the "Navigation has moved" pop-up and replaced with a carousel item on the home page which has a link to the new nav info and feedback page.

Users can dismiss this to free up space, once read.

Peter.

Rocko
17-Peridot
(To:PeterCase)

Thanks Peter!

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@PeterCase,

Slightly off topic, but I noticed that these pages are missing the navigation menu:

Also, clicking the link to search the knowledge base tries to immediately search before any criteria have been entered, leading to this:

TomU_0-1605291473306.png

PeterCase
16-Pearl
(To:TomU)

Hi @TomU ,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner on this. The Supported Platforms  link is available under Enterprise Navigation in the Support Section, 3rd item down:

PeterCase_0-1605905163707.png

Regarding the CPS Calendar, just 0.2% of visitors accessed the page in FY20. We assessed the referrers to the page, and with most coming from the CPS FAQ Article, the main Product Calendar, or an alert we published last year, we took a decision to leave this out of the main navigation.

We also saw that several repeat visitors were using a browser bookmark to an old link which we redirect from.

Lastly, on the search issue, this looks to be the Brave browser which is preventing some resource files from loading, which we discussed in more detail here.

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi @TomU ,

I just realised my last answer was confusing. Based on some internal conversations I thought we would be leaving CPS out of the Enterprise Nav, when in fact we've left it in there (for now):

PeterCase_0-1606127409171.jpeg

I realized since that your request was about adding the new navigation paradigm also to those pages, and can confirm we have a plan ! As these pages are not maintained by our team, we needed to check with the owners first, but you can expect the box to appear in the top left on these pages also in the coming few weeks.

Sorry for any confusion !

Peter.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

@PeterCase,

Is there something locking this on?  No matter how many times I push the 'X', it won't go away and comes back after the page finishes reloading.

TomU_0-1605298740677.png

Top Tags