cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

About creating a sweep shape along a rectangular path

ykimura
8-Gravel

About creating a sweep shape along a rectangular path

Hello everyone
I am not good at English, so I'm sorry if it was a funny translation.

I want to create a shape like the attached figure, but I do not know how to create a sweep using a rectangular path.
Could you tell me how to create such a shape, as it is good in other ways?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good morning.
Thank you for the detailed explanation and the attachment of the figure.
It was very helpful.
I would like to create a model referring to the answers.

Thank you everyone!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I
(To:ykimura)

@ykimura 

You may like youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKStLs-12B0

Thank you very much.

Unfortunately you could not browse youtube due to security issues.
First of all, create a path with a method of "wrapping" a straight line on a feature with a round corner at the four corners of the rectangle, and a straight "curve" connecting the end points of the line made by projecting a straight sketch, although it takes time. I made it.

Although "lap" does not take time, it is difficult to determine the position of the end point.
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Ohayoo gozaimasu!  (Thank God for internet translators...)

Actually, I was able to see the video.  I did a toroidal version of this WAAAY back in 2000, with ends made parallel to the toroid axis (normal to the flat surface).  It was actually pretty easy with only a couple of features.  I did it back then for fun to see how it could be done because a friend was struggling with it, then many years later in 2013 I actually had to use this technique.  Note the ends on the bare copper wire where they wrap around the bent leads.  Both ends of the helical wrap are normal to the lead centerline.

62-8240_BALUN_TRANSFORMER.jpg

As I mentioned, there are 2 ways to do this.  The toroidal version I did used the method I mentioned first, similar to Mahesh's.  For a toroid, you cannot wrap a curve.  You CAN wrap a curve around an extruded rectangle with rounded edges.  To get the start and stop points right you can use what used to be an "Evaluate" feature.  This is now buried in the "Measure" command and to create the feature, under the "Save" icon, you use the "Make Feature" option.  By creating selected curves and creating curve length features to determine where you want the ends to stop (which flat surface, and WHERE on the surface), and how many "wraps", you can get the curve exactly how you want it with your sketch length and height.  Best of all, if you change the rectangular tube's dimensions, it will automatically update and always give you the right number of "wraps" IF you've gotten your relations right.

Best of luck!

Good morning.
Thank you for the detailed explanation and the attachment of the figure.
It was very helpful.
I would like to create a model referring to the answers.

Thank you everyone!
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

The picture you show shows a "closed" spring, if not "closed and ground".  As such, Mahesh's solution is close...but no cigar, since it's a linear twist.  Also, the section should have the line from the senterline and be normal to it.  For rotation you need something else to drive it non-linearly.  Any guesses as to what could do that?

There's an easier way still, not a projected curve, but...  😉

Top Tags