cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Am I making a tessellated sphere correctly in Creo

ptc-5061146
1-Newbie

Am I making a tessellated sphere correctly in Creo

I need to make a model of a sphere with a sensor screwed into every vertex of a tessilated sphere. My plan at the moment is to calculate those vertices in an external program, import the points into creo, then use the patern tool selecting each datum point. Is there an easier way to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5061146)

That's how I'd do it.

You could do it entirely in Creo, but it wouldn't be easier or faster. The advantage would be that you could easily change the number of facets afterwards but you have to weigh up if the initial time investment would pay off for the number of times you're likely to change it.

There so many sensors for this to work.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Antonius' information is probably a really good place to start.

But I have to ask how many sensors? 4 or 400, might change the thought process.

I don't think Antonius' method would work. Maybe this is something creo just can't do.

I have the points in creo, but when I pattern them, they point in the same direction as the first hole.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Yeah, see, that is some key information right there. And how big is the sphere going to be?

I maybe giving too much information on the product. Bigger then a workout ball, let's say. Fairly big.

There is an option in the fill pattern that used the surface normals. Unfortunately, for a point pattern, points have this information built into them. I have had this issue before where we do not have good control of how the points are defined internally. I've had similar shortcomings with splines where you expected the normal to "twist" but didn't depending solely on how they were generated.

Fill patterns, hmmm, let me look those up. I'll get back to you.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

What Antonius said. It sounds like the place to start is getting 40,000 points on the ball first.

It works. I'll write up a guide because it isn't straight forward. But it works. Thanks guys!!! This is amazing.

One of my favorite fill patterns:

honeycomb.png

Top Tags