cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Angled Cutting Plane

NickKaehler
1-Newbie

Angled Cutting Plane

Greetings all, Using Wildfire 4.0, I'm trying to create a cutting plane that has an angled bend in it. I'm working on a cylindrical part with some holes going into it at weird angles and a straight cutting plane isn't going to help me. The only way I know how to make sections is by using planes in the model, but that only gives me a straight cutting plane. Can anyone tell me how to create a cutting plane that bends at an angle? Thanks Nick
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
8 REPLIES 8

"Nick Kaehler" wrote:

Greetings all, Using Wildfire 4.0, I'm trying to create a cutting plane that has an angled bend in it. I'm working on a cylindrical part with some holes going into it at weird angles and a straight cutting plane isn't going to help me. The only way I know how to make sections is by using planes in the model, but that only gives me a straight cutting plane. Can anyone tell me how to create a cutting plane that bends at an angle? Thanks Nick

hi, if you want to cut a hole not at horizontal or vertical position, just use the button of hole feature, there's a way in it to creat a hole feature with angle.

I appreciate the responses, but I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I'm okay with making all of my holes. I'm having trouble on my 2D drawing with creating a Section view to show the angles of these holes. The only way I know to make sections is by selecting a plane, but I need an angled cutting plane for a 2D section view. In other words I want my cutting plane to go partially straight through my part and then I want it to angle off into the centerline of one of the holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

"Nick Kaehler" wrote:

I appreciate the responses, but I think you misunderstood what I was asking. I'm okay with making all of my holes. I'm having trouble on my 2D drawing with creating a Section view to show the angles of these holes. The only way I know to make sections is by selecting a plane, but I need an angled cutting plane for a 2D section view. In other words I want my cutting plane to go partially straight through my part and then I want it to angle off into the centerline of one of the holes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

"Nick Kaehler" wrote:

It also works in part mode under x-sec, it's the offset command. Have fun.....pro/e is a never ending jigsaw puzzle, or one of those weird Chines games that take awhile to figure out.

Be wary of offset cross-sections. They can be awkward to modify once created, and are generally enough of a nuisance that we've stopped using them completely. We just create two (or more) sections to cover the required views. Give them a try, but don't get too addicted!

I was playing around with the xsec some more and I managed to make what I wanted using Zones to create the section. I don't understand how exactly zones work, but I did manage to get the view I needed.
Top Tags