cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Anyone else find it difficult/impossible to modify a symbol instance?

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

Anyone else find it difficult/impossible to modify a symbol instance?

The "Help" (and I'm using that word VERY loosley) says to hightlight it and then right click to get the pop-up menu. Well, first you have to be in the "Review" tab to even pick it. But when you do, you do NOT get "Properties", which you should. The ONLY I've found to be able to modify a symbol already placed is to elect the "Annotate" tab. Then Alt-select (left-click) it to highlight it, only THEN do you get the "Properties" selection in the pop-up menu to change the symbol.

Again, another example of somethig that would take seconds in WF4 to do, now takes over an hour just to FIND the command. And then it's far more difficult to use anyways with all the Alt-select-raise your left hand tnd throw salt over your right shoulder while counting backwards from 10 antics. Seriously. Someone PLEASE tell me how the Creo interface is somehow better or faster. I could have had this set of dwgs done in 1/10 the time if not less.

Of all the complaints lodged against the interface here and elsewhere, I have YET to see any glowing praise, or even mildly enthusiastic support for it from someone NOT on their payroll.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I found another way. When you have the "Annotate tab" activated, you can pick on any of the symbols listed in the dwg tree (good luck finding the actual symbol you want as they're just named "Draft: symbol_XX"), then right-click and the "Properties" shows up in the pop-up menu. Hovering over the symbols listed in the list does not highlight them either. They only highlight if you select them. Gah!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I found another way. When you have the "Annotate tab" activated, you can pick on any of the symbols listed in the dwg tree (good luck finding the actual symbol you want as they're just named "Draft: symbol_XX"), then right-click and the "Properties" shows up in the pop-up menu. Hovering over the symbols listed in the list does not highlight them either. They only highlight if you select them. Gah!

I think, that the editor for symbols needs a complete reworking.

I think the entire GUI needs to be trashed.

haha, Frank.

What version of Pro/E / Creo do you use currently?

~Jakub

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:James62)

WF5 Creo Elements or whatever they're calling it, build M080.

I absolutely HATE using it. Thankfully I finished the dwg i had to modify, and can get back to WF4 for my new design work. I've been a staunch supporter since v15 and always used to look forward to the new version. No more. I DREAD every new version, and hate using it. This GUI is the worst. Ever.

Ahh so it's "Creo Elements/Pro 5.0" you have there.

I've had a chance to try that one during only one project and I didn't bother with drawing mode back then. You might want to try Creo Parametric 2.0. It's so much easier to create bunch of dims in 2.0 than it is in Creo Parametric 1.0.

From what I've read Creo Parametric 1.0 is slightly better than Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 if you consider drawing mode GUI.

I just don't recommend using Creo Parametric 1.0 cause its terribly laggy. Almost every activation of Annotate tab takes forever there.

I think symbols are generally hard to modify in all of them so if you can use WF4 for that purpose then it's good for you actually.

~Jakub

To Redefine a Symbol

1.Click Format Symbol Gallery. The DEFINITION menu appears.
2.Click Redefine. The GET SYMBOL menu appears. Use the Diagram Item or Symbol filters to select the required symbol.
3.Select an instance of the symbol to edit or click Name to select a predefined symbol from the Select Symbol Definitions dialog box and click OK. The symbol is placed in the drawing.
4.Use the SYMBOL EDIT menu to make the edits.
If you edit the drawn symbol, all instances are updated. If you edit symbol parameters, you can check the Propagate option to globally update the symbol instances in the design.
5.Click Done/Return, when you finish.

This will help you to redefine the Symbol (Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 M080)

Chander.

Top Tags