cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Anyone using Dell M3800 Slim mobile WS?

msteffke
12-Amethyst

Anyone using Dell M3800 Slim mobile WS?

I see these are available since the last time I spec'd a machine. Anyone using one for PTC Creo? They are described as "Thin and light with professional power." Video is the Nvidia K1100M The user in mind is in a managerial role. Not using CREO as a primary tool, but may have the occasional need to open some models, perhaps do a little modeling. Does some traveling, perhaps a trip per month.

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

I had an M3800 on loan a while back and ran the OCUS benchmark (proesite.com) on it.It performed admirably well on Creo 2.0 with score of 1416 seconds, ranking 22 overall. Many of the systems that bested it were custom-builts and tower systems. I also ran the benchmark on Dell's M4800 and itcame in at 1203 seconds, ranking it at 13 overall. The M3800 lacks a separate numberpad and direct ethernet jack, but at 4.15 pounds, compared against 6.35 pounds for the M4800,it is very nice for moblity. We are in the process of ordering some M3800s for our Creo users.

I hope this information is helpful,

~Ned

msteffke
12-Amethyst
(To:msteffke)

Very helpful Thanks. Did not realize there was no direct Ethernet jack.

Mark Steffke
Engineering Services and Design Standards
Manitowoc Foodservice
T 989.775.9215 or 989.773.7981, ext 12484
Integrity, Commitment to Stakeholders, and Passion for Excellence

There is no direct ethernet jack, but it comes with an e-net/usb adapter. The M3800 is not compatible with the E-Dock; they have a lightweight dock that connects to the M3800 with a usb cable. When you set the laptop down, you plug in the usb cable and the power cable from the dock. Since there is no physical dock/undock action, it is really simple to just pick up the laptop and leave for a meeting. Also, no optical drive.

Top Tags